LegacyGT.com

HID conversion question on 2012 lgt

Murderme

So my buddy gave me his mazda 3 speed HIDs which are H8 h9 h11 compatible. The 2012 Legacy is H7, however I was able to modify them to fit perfectly. So my question is if they fit fine and connect fine am I ok running them even though its not H7?

I didn't want to spend any money and had the free time and the parts off of several other HID's from the past. So I am using ballasts from the original H7 kit i acquired 3 years ago, And joined them with my friends H8,h9,h11 compatible bulb. So far they work fine. The wiring is plugged into the original halogen bulb power outlet and am thinking its to much for it because i have had the passanger bulb go dead on me, a few on/off's and they both stay on however.

Please do it right. You have a very rare car there, 1 of 227. I would hate to hear that it burned to the ground. Spend the money and get a proper retrofit kit that is proven, they don't cost that much.

www.theretrofitsource.com

I didn't want to spend any money and had the free time and the parts off of several other HID's from the past. So I am using ballasts from the original H7 kit i acquired 3 years ago, And joined them with my friends H8,h9,h11 compatible bulb. So far they work fine. The wiring is plugged into the original halogen bulb power outlet and am thinking its to much for it because i have had the passanger bulb go dead on me, a few on/off's and they both stay on however.

Yeah, that's because you're using a cheap stuff. I've never been happy with cheap Ebay kits. They usually last about 3 months.

Retrofit your headlights, you have a few options, including a literal bolt on option. It takes like half a day if you're slow. Not only do you get awesome lights with sharp cutoffs, your car also looks cool and you don't blind everyone around you.

No matter what HID kit you put in your halogen headlights, they will always be inferior to a proper HID projector.

Get this kit: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/complete-retrofit-kits/application-specific/morimoto-retro-quik-system-subaru-legacy-2003-2009.html, re-use your ballasts and get H1 4500K bulbs.

If you want to use real D2S bulbs, ask TRS to send you Mini D2S projectors instead and modify the brackets (probably needs a couple of new screws), then buy Philips/Osram bulbs (not off ebay). Lots of room in the Gen5 housing.

I will most likely do the retrofit at some time. However for the mean time I applied a warning capacitor last night and ordered a relay harness to pull off the battery instead of the stock connections power

Archived