LegacyGT.com

Flapping Noise on Deceleration

On deceleration around 2700-3200 rpms, there will be a flapping sound. That's the best I can describe it. It almost sounds like a diesel rig during engine braking - but not as loud. The noise doesn't happen outside that range and only when I'm decelerating from load.

I tried to recreate it without any load and I wasn't able to hear it. It's possible that the revs dropped too quickly as well. Most threads I'm finding on here refers to turbo engines and waste gates, so that hasn't really helped.

The idiot light is off, so that's good I guess. But I haven't been able to pinpoint it, any ideas?

The good news, is it's fixed. The bad news, I'm not quite sure what it was since I did multiple things.

1. I installed a new AC belt using a stretch belt, my old pulley had shredded a while ago and I've been without AC. Instead of getting a new pulley, I replaced it with a stretch belt and eliminated the need for the pulley. I checked the alternator belt before I installed the stretch belt, and it seemed tight but I did snug it back up again. (Maybe the flapping was loose belts?)

2. I found the driver side front wheel well to be loose. It was only a couple of mm, but loose enough to allow play. I tightened that back up. It's possible it was this, but I doubt this could cause sound that would correlate to engine RPM & load instead of speed/airflow. Could've been because of how engine vibrations are transferred..but my bet is on #1 having fixed the issue and the Alternator belt wasn't as tight as I thought it was.

Went for a drive and the flapping sound is gone. I did confirm the heat shields were loose and there is a rattling. I still haven't fixed those, but this was a different sound - non metallic. I'll have to address the heat shields next..

Thanks for the help!

Archived