LegacyGT.com

New Rotors and Pads

firepyro515

Ok, forgive me as I know this has probably been asked a lot. I tried the search function, but there are too many threads across too many sub-forums to find an answer.

Straight to the point, i need to get my rotors and pads replaced. I just purchased an 09 Legacy GT and the previous owner put on aftermarket brakes and I want to get them changed out to something better.

A lot of people have recommended Centric Premium rotors, so I will probably go with those for the front and rear. My big question is what about pads? This is just a daily commuter, no track or rally driving planned in the future.

I went with oem pads and centric premium rotors on my 07 GT and its perfectly fine for daily driving. No noise or excessive dust from the pads. Unless your doing harder driving or dont mind cleaning your rims off every other day, oem pads work just fine.

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I've been running Hawks HPS pads for years, overall great pads. I have now switch to Powerstop Evolution sport pads, just to give them a try, and they are almost as good as the Hawks for less the price.

I'll be doing a write up on these pads shortly in the Brakes forum.

My wife's balls are delicious.

KNS brakes hooked me up with a killer packaged of dba front rotors, centric rear rotors. Porterfield pads all around

Partnered with my stainless lines, grimspeed brace, and blue fluid.

Some of the best braking I've ever felt great initial bite smooth transition and modulation awesome bite for hard stops

Are the brakes on it that bad? I've used el-cheapo pads/rotor on previous cars and could've put myself through the windshield if I slammed my foot down.

The previous owner put on slotted rotors in the front and some crappy rotors in the back. I took the car in for a pre-sale inspection and they mentioned that the pads on the front and back are not the same either. Right now, they are squealing pretty bad, so I've opted to just get new rotors and pads that I know are good. They also mentioned that the brakes are at about 40% of life left

Okay, I did assume that the rotors and pads were a correct set. I don't mix'n'match this stuff myself either. I figure if either the front or back brakes is worn to the point of needed replacement, replace everything front & back. I guess others aren't so picky.

squealing pads are from 3 things:

1. end of life and the metal warning tag is activated

2. improper bedding

3. pads are too high in the temp range for your current use

Yep, that's why I'm just getting rid of them and starting fresh.

Archived