LegacyGT.com

Installed Pro gauges in cubby - pics

eldiablo

Finally finished installation of Pro boost gauge and voltmeter! Boost seems to work great - needle takes off by just thinking about boost. Gauge color and lighting match stock gauges nicely. Cubby door still completely functional. Unfortunately, the voltemeter only works when it wants to - need to return for a new one.

DSC00015.JPG.ee0f9d99ba6e9d24f22974e7b31918d5.JPG

DSC00016.JPG.499a6082130ba887c6290658251609af.JPG

DSC00019.JPG.80957ca25b291dd0edfdbe42dc8a536f.JPG

My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

Those look super sharp. Match the stock gauges great. One question though, why does everyone's boost meter show 20" Hg (I assume while the engine is off)? Is this just where they zero? Why don't they zero at .. well .. zero?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

One question though, why does everyone's boost meter show 20" Hg (I assume while the engine is off)? Is this just where they zero? Why don't they zero at .. well .. zero?

Yeah, I was wondering that at first too, but as I understand it your manifold is in a vaccum when off boost, the engine sucking in air through the valves. As you get on boost the turbo pressurizes the manifold so you are now pushing air into the cylinders. A N/A engine is always running a vaccum in the manifold.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW, looks very nice. I'd love a similar setup but with oil pressure instead of volts.

Yea...I guess that makes sense. With all your cylinders sucking air and your intake manifold closed up (for idle) I suppose you would pull vacuum... I'm still suprised it's so much. 20"Hg is a LOT of vacuum...I should know, I work w/vacuum systems for a living.

I'm also suprised even an idling turbo doesn't counter this some...but...I guess it doesn't! Interesting.

[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I like them a lot. Where did youget them from and how much? I take it they are 52MM?

X

Got them from an ebay vendor. Can't send you lthe ink as ebay is restricted here at work. Search Pro gauge on ebay and you should find it. Around $100 for the (2) gauges with shipping.

I really just wanted a boost gauge but went with the voltmeter mostly to even out look inside of cubby. Voltmeter is probably easiest of gauges to install so.... EGT not worth tapping a bung in IMO. Too scary for me. Getting through the firewall was enough work for me!

Got them from an ebay vendor. Can't send you lthe ink as ebay is restricted here at work. Search Pro gauge on ebay and you should find it. Around $100 for the (2) gauges with shipping.

I really just wanted a boost gauge but went with the voltmeter mostly to even out look inside of cubby. Voltmeter is probably easiest of gauges to install so.... EGT not worth tapping a bung in IMO. Too scary for me. Getting through the firewall was enough work for me!

Ok so I searched all of ebay and I could not find them. If you have a link to teh auction and at some point you can either post it or PM that would be great. I really like your gauges.

X

EDIT: I think I found them, are these it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-BOOST-GAUGE-METER-S14-S15-WRX-BLOW-OFF-VALVE_W0QQitemZ8002027081QQcategoryZ33681QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do they blackout when the ignition is off?

---

Ok so I searched all of ebay and I could not find them. If you have a link to teh auction and at some point you can either post it or PM that would be great. I really like your gauges.

X

EDIT: I think I found them, are these it??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIVERSAL-BOOST-GAUGE-METER-S14-S15-WRX-BLOW-OFF-VALVE_W0QQitemZ8002027081QQcategoryZ33681QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do they blackout when the ignition is off?

Yup. Those are the gauges and yes, they do blackout when the ignition is off.

Did you use ABS Plastic for the plate? If so, where did you get it from?

I got creative with the faceplate. I manufactured a backing out of wood (maybe 1/8") and covered it with a piece of black material commonly used on office desk pads. It's easy to cut and matches interior finishes perfectly. Staples - 10 bucks.

For those wanting measurements, I think there is a post out there with this info but it's easy enough just to measure the interior of the cubby for yourself. Plus, you'll find that your original cuts may need to be changed depending on where you want the faceplate to sit in the cubby.

That is great, thanks for all the inof. I searched and founf other threads with the same gauge installation, and all have been very helpful. The angling is something cool to think about, but I doubt there will be enough space to angle the,. That might be an idea to think about. I have some others as well.

Thanks again, and I will be ordering these gauges very soon.

X

---

I'm been trying to find the Pro Gauge on ebay but i'm not having any luck. I can't even find a website that sells them. I like the way your gauges look i'd like to do mine the same way. if you have any info. where i could find them let me know.

I posted the link in a previous post, but here it is again:

X

---

I know they do it to circumvent Ebay fees, but I can't bring myself to spend an additional 72% of the cost on shipping charges when their location is San Diego (where I live). I guess you have to look at it as a $50 gauge with ~$7 shipping.

Hey Eldiablo,

I just got my boost and voltomer gauges in the mail. I was trying to put them in the cubby just to see how they fit and i couldn't get them in the cubby and still have function of the door. Did you ahve to modify the inside of the cubby to make more room? i ordered 52 mm gauges. I think your gauges look great in the cubby and if you didn't mind i'd like to do mine the same, i just was just wondering how you fit both gauges in the cubby while preserving function of the cubby door. just let me know what mods you had to do. Once again your gauges look great, any tips are appreciated.

thanks,

Michael

Hey Eldiablo,

I just got my boost and voltomer gauges in the mail. I was trying to put them in the cubby just to see how they fit and i couldn't get them in the cubby and still have function of the door. Did you ahve to modify the inside of the cubby to make more room? i ordered 52 mm gauges. I think your gauges look great in the cubby and if you didn't mind i'd like to do mine the same, i just was just wondering how you fit both gauges in the cubby while preserving function of the cubby door. just let me know what mods you had to do. Once again your gauges look great, any tips are appreciated.

thanks,

Michael

I've heard of others having this problem but it was fine for me. Hmmm. You may have to start the gauges in on a slight angle. Try to angle bottom in first, then slowly push top into area where there is a slight "valley". This area up top is where you'll want the gauge / faceplate to sit. Door should open / shut just fine without any modification if you get it in the right spot.

You'll probably find yourself installing / removing / slightly trimmimg your plate a few times until you get it just right. The fit should be so snug that you'll require nothing to hold the gauges / faceplate in place within the cubby. I've been driving around with mine in there for about a month and it hasn't budged.

Good luck!

I know they do it to circumvent Ebay fees, but I can't bring myself to spend an additional 72% of the cost on shipping charges when their location is San Diego (where I live). I guess you have to look at it as a $50 gauge with ~$7 shipping.

ya, i emailed them and they told me $29 for shipping! because i live in AK. i can tell you it doesn't cost that much to mail them! that's a huge rip off! :(

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

ya, i emailed them and they told me $29 for shipping! because i live in AK. i can tell you it doesn't cost that much to mail them! that's a huge rip off! :(

the shipping will be more to AK, but ebayers increase the shipping cost because ebay doesn't take their "cut" from the shipping. look at the total shipped price and decide if it is worth it to you.

i bought cell phone accessories on ebay for 1 cent, but shipping was $8. still a good deal.

Archived