LegacyGT.com

Removed catalytic converters

jj808

The person i bought my car from had previously removed all the catalytic converters from the exhaust path. Well, now its throwing a catalytic converter error that the dealership has never seen and im thinking its because there are no converters on the car and the previously installed resistor burned out. The thing is i have no idea what the resistor would be or where to find one if it does indeed need to be replaced. I'm not putting the converters back as that is WAY more money than im willing to spend POS. So, any suggests on the resistor type, where to get a replacement and where it would go?

I read it wrong, thought you brought it from a dealer. Did the seller tell you he removed all the catalytic converters? In Colorado a car is required to have proof of passing emissions when sold, I assume California is the same way since they are more strict?

Depends on what you want to do and what you want for an end result. On the one hand the seller is liable for selling you an emissions-compliant car. On the other hand, many of us remove or replace the cats and that's kind of a given.

Is the car modded beyond cat removal? What is the code? You can pick up cats cheap from places like Summit racing, but my understanding is that some of the cheap cats won't pass stricter emissions?

Strangely enough it passed emissions last week but then this hit yesterday on the way to work. Dont know the code right now but ill get it an share.

The car was a private party sale and the assholio had a valid recent smog check but he didnt disclose that he had taken off the converters. I found that out myself later when we were doing the brakes and had the car on a lift.

The mods he did disclose were a replaced turbo, a cold air intake and it had a blow off valve on it but he put the stock one back on. I would bet every last dime i have that he did alot more than that cause of all the issues i have been having.

If your emissions are like ours there is no way you can pass without a cat. Even if you somehow get past the visual check, your numbers will be through the roof. Did it pass emissions with you or was it the smog check you were saying he gave you?

Last week i personally took the car to a smog check site and had it checked. He didnt do a total inspection due to wasting time trying to bust me due to the CAI (SPT) so he didnt see the missing converters but the car passed everything else. This wasnt some sort of under the table deal either. He hooked the car up to everything including the OBD2 port and it passed.

By memory, people got that code when they put spacers on the rear oxygen sensor. Take a look there and see if they is a spacer on it?

The resistor mod you are looking for is the uppipe EGT sensor fix. I linked it in post #7. I don't think it does anything when you don't have a cat.

Archived