LegacyGT.com

Stoptech brake pad question

oncesir

I recently grabbed some stoptech front pads for the lgt wagon. I threw on new rotors and pads at the same time hoping to eliminate any issues. I have bed the pads in per stoptechs recommendation. I've found that after a week of driving the brake pedal pulsation will steadily come back and get worse. My commute to work is very short. Has anyone with stoptechs had issues with a short commute and a brake pedal pulsation that slowly gets worse?

Btw I had these same pads on my bugeye and never had an issue. TIA

^best to use brakleen to get that rotor residue off new rotors.

Yeah that's what I used. I've already cut the rotors once with the stoptechs and they already have a pulsation again. I even called stoptech and the rep told me that a pulsation is common with those pads if you drive short distances. That answer isn't what I was looking for considering I've used these pads before and not had issues. Which is why I wanted to ask others their experience.

I visibly checked the hub and checked wheel bearings for looseness. Both were ok.

its possible that those pads leave deposits. if you go on the high way and re-bed the pads, it may even them out.

If the pulsation is due to rotors being warps, maybe you have a sticky caliper that is overheating the rotor.

Yeah I checked the calipers too. If I rebed them the pulsation is almost totally gone but then returns after a few days of short driving. The stock pads did had similar issues. Can you recommend a pad that actually stops the car and doesn't leave deposits?

^best to use brakleen to get that rotor residue off new rotors.

Never had an issue with using Dawn, this is my second set of Stoptech pads with Centrics. Same process used no issues ever, but to each there own i guess.;)

I've gone through a few sets of StopTech pads on my Legacy and I've been getting pretty bad pulsation in the last set. I had the rotors turned and put 2 new front calipers and brackets/slides on last fall (I had a sticking piston and slides) and that cured if for a while but it's never gone away.

I know the front LCA bushings need changed too so I don't know if that's part of it. I'm probably going to try something different next time.

I've gone through a few sets of StopTech pads on my Legacy and I've been getting pretty bad pulsation in the last set. I had the rotors turned and put 2 new front calipers and brackets/slides on last fall (I had a sticking piston and slides) and that cured if for a while but it's never gone away.

I know the front LCA bushings need changed too so I don't know if that's part of it. I'm probably going to try something different next time.

Yeah I'm pretty sick of the pulsation. Nothing annoys me more than a brake pulsation. I won't be recommending these pads as much as I used to. I understand different conditions for different pads but I've had lots of different cars, a few with Napa pads and even those weren't this bad.

Not sure if relevant, but did you make sure the hub was free of dirt, dust and rust before fitting the rotor? Also, did you tighten the wheel properly (star-pattern with increasing torques) ? Do you hang on your brakes when you stop? Generally unnecessary if your car is manual and I honestly believe this can cause it due to uneven cooling of the disc. I don't think I've ever had warped rotors in about 30 years of driving so I'm thinking technique has some bearing here too.

I have Stoptech pads on my car but I have no issues with pulsation. My drive to work is only a few miles. I have gotten brake squeal on 3 different vehicles that I've used the Stoptech pads on, though.

OP, it might be your driving. If you are very light on the brakes, I believe I've read that will more likely lead to deposits on the rotors and hence the pulsing. Try being a little more aggressive on the brakes and see if that makes a difference.

I don't have a garage but the pulsation has came back after cutting the rotors several times. I had the rain deposit issue on my wrx with the stoptech pads which didn't cause a pulsation just a slight noise till the deposit was worn off. My concern is that the pads I received are somehow faulty?? I called stoptech and they blamed my short commute saying that I needed to do more to get the pads up to temp. That may be true but to have less than 10 miles on fresh rotors and pads and to have a pulsation almost instantly doesn't seem right.

I have access to a brake lathe at work but what does everyone else use to remove the pad residue?

• 2 months later...
I actually ordered stock Subie pads. I'm done dealing with the "your driving habits cause it" bs. This was never an issue with my wrx with these pads which is why I bought them for my lgt. Stoptech blamed me saying I don't drive far enough even though I told them about how good my previous experience with their pads were. I won't be buying their pads or recommending them again. :mad:

Archived