LegacyGT.com

Need Advice on Legacy GT

Ok, so here is the story.

I traded in my 4th Gen Legacy back in July of last year and picked up a 6th Gen Legacy. I'm currently itching a little bit to get back into a 4th gen. The 6th Gen is great, just a little large for my taste.

I found a 4th Gen Legacy GT (2009) for sale locally and was wondering if there is anything I should check or look for? I'm not going to see the car until tomorrow most likely and any help or advice is much appreciated.

Start by listing the mileage and then we can tell you what things to look for. Otherwise we'd just be throwing out random stuff that could be irrelevant.

Yeah, I was just thinking about that right after I posted. The car is at a little over 85k.Per the dealer, they just did a full mechanical inspection and fluid change. They don't have many pictures of the car online, so I have no idea what the condition of the interior is like or the rest of the body.

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofmonroe.com/used-Everett-2009-Subaru-Legacy-2.5GT-4S3BL676594212167

drive it obviously, see if any shakes, pulls, vibrations etc. make sure it idles nice, try every gear,

compression/leakdown test is ideal, check the condition of the oil. Make sure no exhaust coming out of oil cap during idle (air/vapor is fine) but no actual exhaust. peak in coolant to see if any oil.

Turbo is prob pretty tired if its stock. Check for shaft play. Timing belt/water pump service is coming up at 105k a lot of people do it earlier to be on the safe side of water pump not going out

Yeah, I was just thinking about that right after I posted. The car is at a little over 85k.Per the dealer, they just did a full mechanical inspection and fluid change. They don't have many pictures of the car online, so I have no idea what the condition of the interior is like or the rest of the body.

http://www.dodgechryslerjeepofmonroe.com/used-Everett-2009-Subaru-Legacy-2.5GT-4S3BL676594212167

Idk about the rest of the guys on here but I don't think a full mechanical inspection means much when buying a used LGT from a dealership. Do you know what the fluid changes they made entails? Dealerships love saying stuff like that but I honestly doubt they paid to do the transmission fluid, rear diff and a coolant flush. Probably just got an oil change done.

85k the car is due for a timing belt soon (and water pump, normally done at the same time). My car doesn't have that many miles just yet but I'll be doing mine around 85 or 90k to be safe.

You could also ask about spark plugs but I wouldn't expect a dealer to do that to be honest.

For the car you found in particular though, I'd be interested to see if there are any mods done to the car. Wheels in the pic are not stock which isn't technically an indication that the rest of the car was modified or not, but it's definitely possible. I'd ask the dealership about any modifications that may have been done to the car. Again, I'd take what they say with a grain of salt cause most places do not know anything about these kinds of cars (nor do they care). If the previous owner was pushing more boost than stock you could see a shortened turbo life, which if that blows #YNANSB

Yeah, I'm really interested to see what the condition of the car is and if anything else was done. Ideally, I would want to take it to at least a Subaru dealer to get it checked out, but we will see what happens.

If you decide to purchase, get in writing final purchase based on a Buyer's inspection Report. at said Buyer's inspection include a leak down test and compression test. You should be able to have the inspection done at the place of your choice, just make sure they specialize in Subaru's.

Archived