LegacyGT.com

Touch screen engine monitoring, which one should I get?

I've always been a fan of the R35 GT-R's center screen and all of the data it can spit out in real time. Everything from boost, to temperatures, to whatever. So, when I discovered that there was a way I could have a similarish system via aftermarket I was instantly interested.

There are three systems on the market and they're in the order of most to least interest. All three plug into the computer and are pretty much plug and play with the added benefit of adding a junction box for things like boost, and more temp readouts. Each one is a touch screen as well. The GReddy and BLITZ ones cover a lot of features.

GReddy Intelligent Informeter Touch

I like this one the most, but the LGT is not on the list of approved cars. The same year WRX is though. It can read for error codes too and I like that. Changes to SAE and Metric readouts.

http://www.greddy.com/products/electronics/informeter/

BLITZ Touch B.R.A.I.N

Very similar to the GReddy one, but has the added feature of being able to export the data it logs. Not sure if it can change over to SAE measurements.

http://www.blitzpowerusa.com/products/touch_brain/touchbrain.html

HKS OB-Link (I have a Samsung Galaxy 4 Active this can Bluetooth connect with and there is no available junction box for added things like boost.) Basically a reader that can read a whole lot. The fish tank screen is kinda cool?

http://www.hksusa.com/ob-link/

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Are they worth it? I like the availability of having all of the data I could want at any time. Plus for all the things these can do the prices seem pretty fair. Btw, I usually wait for sale prices.

Thats another one to consider too. May not show as much as some other ones but links to obd and the defi advance controller if you have one. Shows the data for any of the sensors currently attached to the controller.

App isn't supported in all regions but its pretty easy to fake your region to get it and then change back.

http://www.defi-shop.com/products/smart_adp_w/summary_smart_adp_w/

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I have been wanting to mount a Nexus 7 in the center console where the GPS or center cubby would be and run the Torque app through a bluetooth dongle. It will monitor anything your ECU can see including boost and AFR. Plus you would have a good GPS and anything else a tablet could do at your fingertips. Might be worth looking into.

Also want to throw in "locally" created android app/adapter BtSsm.

More info here :)

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

Torque doesn't really stack up to heiche's BtSsm solution which is built specifically with our cars/engines in mind. It has been through many iterations and enhancements based on heiche's extensive technical knowledge, experience as an LGT owner himself, and a good deal of user feedback from members right here in this forum. It's wireless with the BT dongle (wired is also an option) and much cheaper than some of those other units even if you factor in the cost of a new Android tablet. The user interface may not be quite as fancy as some of the other expensive stand-alone units, but you really can't go wrong with it if you're an LGT owner (also many other Subaru applications supported including NA cars) interested in a simple but elegant solution for monitoring real time as well as for easy data logging/graphing. Also, what other solution has "one-touch" Learning View built in? I'm thinking probably none...unless RomRaider finally integrated it in later versions. But RR is all about pragmatic data logging, is really not suitable for real time monitoring, and doesn't do all the fun gauges!

Haven't had much time to mess with it, but I picked up a 7" windows tablet and a tactrix. Will be another couple of months before I get time to wrap this up, but it'll look a factory setup when complete.

$85 invested so far including tablet and plate.

image.thumb.jpg.f764f4f6549eb9b9106ef5dc0f612368.jpg

This is what I like to see. I'm really liking the feedback and I truly appreciate it. Thank you. I really like the BtSsm system. Customizable, accurate live data, and even wireless though I'd probably stick with a wired option. It's definitely not as fancy looking as the GReddy or the BLITZ ones, but it does all I want. Plus I like the LGT gauge style a whole lot.

If I were to go that route, do I need other sensors and a junction box for things like oil temp and oil pressure? Boost is already included in it. From what I can tell it's pretty much plug and play with the ability to add on more data.

Scratch the wired option. I'll stay with bluetooth. Still curious about oil temp and pressure and if it can be monitored on the BtSsm with everything else and what I'd need to make that happen.

Scratch the wired option. I'll stay with bluetooth. Still curious about oil temp and pressure and if it can be monitored on the BtSsm with everything else and what I'd need to make that happen.

Cool. I definitely prefer the bluetooth option myself. If I were hardwiring a tablet, then it would be a toss-up I suppose (usb or bt).

Regarding monitoring "external sensors", there are some upcoming things that will help.

• If you have deleted TGVs, then you can use those as two separate 0-5V inputs. Fairly soon, there will be an update to BtSsm to allow a user-entered table to convert the 0-5V to a useful value. For example, if you have a WBO2 with a 0-5V output, and they publish a few points to convert to A/F ratio, then this would work
  • If the above isn't a possibility, I'm exploring making a separate add-on optional BT module that provides several 0-5V inputs, that then get fed to your android device via BT

BtSsm - Android app/Bluetooth adapter. LV, logging, gauges and more. For 05-14 Legacy (GT, 2.5, 3.0, 3.6), 02-14 WRX, 04-14 STi, 04-14 FXT, 05-09 OBXT

BtSsm FTW!!! I love this tool. You can view anything you view with Romraider or the like. Refresh rate is awesome. You just can't beat the convenience of having this thing on a phone or tablet. I have been using this tool since Sep 14. Has never failed.

Xt2005bonbon, that makes me even more confident in my choice of BtSsm over the original three I was considering.

I haven't deleted any TGVs and neither has the previous owner. My LGT is stock engine and ECU wise. Probably the second option is going to work better. The add on module one. To be honest I never really considered the TGV delete.

The oil temp and oil pressure sensors and lines are going to be professionally installed. As long as they can hook up to BtSsm or connect eventually sooner than later then it's good.

The oil temp and oil pressure sensors and lines are going to be professionally installed. As long as they can hook up to BtSsm or connect eventually sooner than later then it's good.

If you want these sensors to be monitored (whether they will be wired to the upcoming BtSsm optional sensor input module, or to inputs from a TGV delete, etc) what's important is that whatever you use provides a 0-5V output that can be wired up.

For example, AEM make this oil pressure gauge with 0-5V output, and this oil temperature gauge with 0-5V output.

If you want these sensors to be monitored (whether they will be wired to the upcoming BtSsm optional sensor input module, or to inputs from a TGV delete, etc) what's important is that whatever you use provides a 0-5V output that can be wired up.

For example, AEM make this oil pressure gauge with 0-5V output, and this oil temperature gauge with 0-5V output.

Make this and I will buy it. I'd love to have oil temp and pressure on my BtSsm.

I went tablet route also. Bought a cheap 7 inch android tablet at microcenter. Basically did the same thing as the guy that did the windows tablet. My tablet is a bit bigger than the space allowed, so right now I have no side air vents in place til I figure out a work around (probably the same problem for the guy that did the windows tablet). Bought a cheap obdii reader (obdlink sx) which hooks up by usb. You need an "OTG" cable adapter which are cheap. Obdlink sx has a free android app specifically for their products called "obdlink" which works great. Also rerouted the aux so it hooks up to the tablet so I can load music in it and use it as an mp3 player as well. ***If you do go with the android route you need to find one that has a separate power input and micro usb port (you need to charge and use the usb, otherwise go windows tablet because it has separate power and full size usb - don't need OTG adapter. ***

$40 tablet + $30 obdlink sx(usb) + $5 obdii extension + $4 OTG adapter + $6 2.1 amp usb car power adapter = $85 total

Archived