LegacyGT.com

How the hell does this happen????

05 2.5i 4EAT with 135k miles

I went to get all 4 wheel bearing hubs done at my friends garage and I wasn't there I dropped it off. Car drove completely fine prior to work being done on it even though 3/4 bearings were bad and have needed it for a couple years now admittedly.

I asked him to check anything else wrong with it so everything came out good. When I drove it around the car felt great it even felt faster with new bearings. I noticed the ABS light was on and my check engine light was on (it was cleared prior to the bearings being done for an inefficient cat) and I was driving it around to pass the drive cycle.

So I asked him to clear my code before I left with his code reader(his code reader doesn't do ABS). He said I now have a code on PO500 for a speed sensor in the transmission. When it clears it pops right back up. So he cleared my cat code again and off I went.

When you clear a code with a code reader my car usually takes longer to crank up and idles low at first. The ECU usually corrects itself and the car goes back to normal. This time it didn't correct itself. My car shuts off when I go into neutral or my rpms drop when coasting or idling. My radiator fans won't shut off they're never usually on. When I drove it home I heard a pop noise twice.

So long story short. I took it to an actual shop and he read the codes. My car idles at less than 500 rpm, and he said my car was about to start misfiring. I have an ER SS code on my tripometer, and this shop read I have a PO700 and PO750 code as well as my PO500 code. My ABS light is on as well probably cuz they got messed up changing the bearings. Charging the battery when it's running makes the car idle above normal. Could it just be my battery being bad? How does all this happen from wheel bearings?

I had new coils and wires all installed at 123k miles (135k now) Spark plugs are still new. A kid said check the O2 sensors where they connect to the engine. I cleaned them and did nothing to help.

First problem the one that makes your car non driveable is thr P0500. When they did your wheel bearings either they kniced a senso or something and your ECU can't read the sensor right. The central speed sensor is on the transmission but it is probably fine but if you don't have any P0501/2/3/4 codes you may need to check that out. The ER SS code is a controller area network (CAN) issues as in a major connection has been left disconnected or is damaged think if that like unplugging your modem from the cable but leaving you computer on the network it is connected but has no way to send receive data outside the network to/from other networks.

I would gloss over thr speed sensors you can get to them easy and they are secured using a 10mm screw pull them and examine to make sure they are intact then make sure then tract the wire make sure is in intact. Ask that other shop or the more recent shop to look for major connection issues.

Bummer it happened like this as a safety I usually do the bearing one at a time just to ensure against this or mitigate a sensor that does not agree with the new hub.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find anything disconnected and look for the sensors. Will this actually make my car misfire or can I drive it normal just revving up the car when it is in low rpms like I have been doing?

yeah its a combo of the limp mode + battery reset while still being in limp so it will be fine to drive it to where you need to have it checked out. Also which brand hub did you use it has been documented that certain hub dont work well with our cars. Get a better list of codes if you can so we can help out better be on the lookout for any C codes and those body related.

Ok and I used Napa hubs. I looked up on other threads of people having similar problems but I have no idea where the speed sensors are on 2.5is

So if you have your wheel wheel off (say front wheel as its easier to see) you will see a thin wire attached to the strut that runs down to the knuckle/hub body, at the end of that is your speed sensor. You may have to remove the caliper to get a better view of it, if you look and there is no wire that is a problem :)

Here is a pic for reference from my 2.5i:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=149822&thumb=1&d=1366943376

The thin black wire with white stripe

• 2 weeks later...

Archived