LegacyGT.com

vacuum whistle?

I'm sitting here waiting for the dealership to open and traffic to die, but it might be a wasted trip if this is normal.

Background: Just had the shortblock replaced.

When I blip the throttle - and I have to do it right, too slow and it doesn't do it, too much and it doesn't (or I can't hear it) - along with the normal noises of inrushing air and belts etc there is a very noticeable noise that sounds like leaking vacuum. It's just as the engine spins up. If it wasn't for electronic throttle I could stick my head under the hood and pinpoint it better, my wife tried working the throttle but her footwork was too random to help much. It sounds like it's coming from the center above the block as opposed to above the heads.

Is this common and I'm just listening too hard after having work done?

In that area there is the PCV valve that odd white plug thingy on the left side of the air box (if you are facing that car) and the brake booster hose.

If they arent going to charge you to look cant hurt they may know it off hand.

The brake pedal does feel extra mushy. They shouldn't charge, the short block was warranty work.

I put my hand over everything I thought it safe to reach with the wife blipping throttle and couldn't muffle it, that's why I'm here and probably heading back to the dealer.

Oh wait the SB in your '13 went bad??? :eek:

"Oil consumption over limit". The newest version of the TSB just says 'screw it, replace the SB and call it a day'.

I am heading back down there in a minute.

Ok, the noise is normal - kudos to SoK for taking the time to diagnose it. I only heard it because I had the hood up checking out their work. They listened at the drop off location, even dragging a Tech (Terry) out to hear it. He heard it and couldn't find it, so he took it back to the shop where he worked for a while, finally popping the hood on a 2015 and realizing it did it too. Again let me say I was worried because the brake pedal was also sinking, and when you combine the two symptoms....

Anyway, turns out it had air in the brake system so they bled the brakes - free of charge since they had just done the 30k service. They also washed it up.

All in all, they took care of everything. I filled it up with gas and will monitor usage. I have my radio presets back, seatbelt chime disabled, speed volume set again, and the car didn't forget the MPG correction factor I put in or the tripometer.

Archived