LegacyGT.com

Had compression test done...

Then again, your initial numbers were consistent across the board. It is just that your tester had a fairly large negative bias :/.

The consistent numbers and the fact that there were no clues that I had a problem led me to consider the tester was bad.

I agree with you on the tests here, though. The original tests on the OPs vehicle some months back had strange results also.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I decided to check back with the shop about the results and they basically told me that the gauge was showing 5% and that basically means no leak.. so instead of telling people the actual number, when its that low, they say no leak or 0 leak.

Would seem smarter to put either an actual number or say something like minimal (<5%) or something rather than 0%.

So I guess the motor is ok when looking at the compression and leakdown. Would still love to know where my oil is going and what this 2krpm engine shake is lol

So the shop sent me some pictures of the compression test and leakdown... how would you interpret these results?

https://goo.gl/photos/aFhJmFjgBZZQeJca6

So, not even a new engine gets 0% leak. There is an about of leak that all engine get. The 0% they gave you was more of a "No problem" than a "no leak".

Your compression numbers look good to me - remembering that turbo engines have lower compression ratios so don't expect 175psi or anything.

If I saw your numbers I'd assume the engine was in good health. If you can get some good oil pressure readings to go with it then I'd say you're set.

These engines use oil. Live with it. I have been having to add a quart or two between 3k changes since the day I bought it - with just 37k on the odo. Towards the end of the engine's life I was having to add 5-6 quarts between 3k changes, and the final nail in the coffin was me letting the oil get too low, spitting out OCV codes. From there I developed a nasty ticking noise in #4 and showed 20-30% leakdown, Teardown revealed a ringland failure in #4, but surprisingly the bearings didn't seems to have any appreciable play.

How much oil are you using?

So, not even a new engine gets 0% leak. There is an about of leak that all engine get. The 0% they gave you was more of a "No problem" than a "no leak".

Your compression numbers look good to me - remembering that turbo engines have lower compression ratios so don't expect 175psi or anything.

If I saw your numbers I'd assume the engine was in good health. If you can get some good oil pressure readings to go with it then I'd say you're set.

I think I an check oil pressure with Torque.. ill take a look.

I agree that when they put 0% its more of an OK than anything. Its just a bit misleading, but to the gen pop, i guess its the easiest way to give a number without having to field more questions. Most people would think that even 1% leak is 'bad' not knowing that every engine "leaks". However this is a 'performance shop' so im surprised they dont put down exactly what the gauge read and just explain that anything south of 10% is acceptable or whatever.

These engines use oil. Live with it. I have been having to add a quart or two between 3k changes since the day I bought it - with just 37k on the odo. Towards the end of the engine's life I was having to add 5-6 quarts between 3k changes, and the final nail in the coffin was me letting the oil get too low, spitting out OCV codes. From there I developed a nasty ticking noise in #4 and showed 20-30% leakdown, Teardown revealed a ringland failure in #4, but surprisingly the bearings didn't seems to have any appreciable play.

How much oil are you using?

Im currently at around a quart per 1000 miles. Ive been more than a quart low at 1000 miles but also less, probably depends on driving style.

The shop agrees that my oil consumption is excessive but they dont seem concerned. Id like to get a catch can just to see if its being vaporized somewhere or if its maybe heading out from the turbo. I pulled the Downpipe not to long ago and didnt notice anything concerning however.

The consistent numbers and the fact that there were no clues that I had a problem led me to consider the tester was bad.

I agree with you on the tests here, though. The original tests on the OPs vehicle some months back had strange results also.

60psi? The fact that your engine ran at all is inconsistent with the compression results. For a 4-banger I should think that any less than 80-90 psi would make it run very, very poorly, if at all.

Mmmh, people that reported a quart of oil per 1k mile usually had a ringland failure or something. But then again, there are also some people whose engine barely burned any oil and still had ringland failure. Sooo, yeah...

Just make sure you keep your oil level full.

60psi? The fact that your engine ran at all is inconsistent with the compression results. For a 4-banger I should think that any less than 80-90 psi would make it run very, very poorly, if at all.

Those were exactly my thoughts. That's why I didn't sweat it long before considering the tester. Running 24-25 psi of boost through a 50# turbo ever since. Still running strong.

Archived