LegacyGT.com

oil on spark plugs

I was about to change the plugs in my 2001 Outback (non-turbo) at 90,0000. I noticed, however, there was some little bits oil on the plugs and a bit on the boots that cover them. Obviously, this is due to the O-rings drying out (the ones that meet the valve cover to the head to allegedly prevent this problem. BUT, my car was running like a Swiss watch when I started the plug change. I noticed the same thing when I changed the plugs on my wife's Legacy recently (at 150,000!). And her's runs perfectly. I've owned several Subarus that I drove to about 170,000 and never changed the O-rings mentioned above, and never had a problem with a misfire. So .... here's my question: Is it really worth my time, trouble and expense to pull the valve covers and replace O-rings and gaskets??? If it never seems to cause a problem, I lean towards the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't mess with it!" Has anyone on the board experienced misfiring or other bad behavior due to dry O-rings around the spark plugs? Thanks!!!

Same thing when I changed plugs two days ago. Both front cylinders had large quantities of oil in the plug wells, but unless I run into another problem that requires me to pull the cam covers, things will stay as they are.

Archived