LegacyGT.com

How to: Convert Intank Fuel Filter (05+ LGT/OBX 08+ WRX/STI) to Engine Bay Filter

I read both this thread and eglin.owens thread. Awesome job to the both of you.

Now I love messing with things but somethings like this I don't want to mess with unless it is needed. I also have the DW65c and was unaware of the stock filter there. Regardless as it can't be easily replaced.

Is there a recommended replaced time for it or was it truly a lifetime filter? Also was there any info found from the GTO guys on if they did anything similar? I might look into this but I currently have no issues but I also like to keep up good maintenance practices on my vehicles.

Again, good job to the both of you for deciding to dig into this.

Thanks! If and when I dig in to replace my fuel pump I'll use a shorter hose to make it easier to close it all up.

As for replacement frequency, Subaru thinks that they can last the life of the car, but realistically it should be much more often, especially since we have ethanol in our gas now. I would say every 3-5 years should be sufficient.

I gave up on GTO filters, just not enough info on them and they looked different enough.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Everyone has switched to that design sadly, Nissan was already using similar designs in 2000's with Sentra's. So it's nice that they waited till 2005 for most of their cars.

I haven't really seen any MPG difference sadly. Guess mine wasn't so clogged.

22 Ascent STOCK

• 1 year later...

Hey covertrussian, great OP and ingenious idea! What do you think of running the old style engine-bay filter in conjunction with the one in the fuel pump assembly?

I found a few aftermarket options, and the stock old style filter in brass or black finish 42072AA011 ; 42072AA010; 42072PA000, etc.

vs say:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-pf-1300

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/emg-14-34432

You can run both if you really want, I actually did for awhile while gathering parts. Only downside is the pump would have to work harder to pump through both restrictions.

The hardest part is bypassing the in tank filter, once you got it straight lined, you can use any inline filter that you wish :).

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived