LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT - Bad Short block

Talbz

I have been searching for a 2008-2010 GT for awhile, and was excited when a 2008 with only 65k miles arrived as a trade at my local dealer (Manchester Subaru).

After a quick test drive, I noticed a severe noise from the engine at around 3500 RPM. Also noted a metal on metal sound when I first started the car... not good. I put a deposit on it, pending their inspection, along with an independent inspection. They called me back telling me to come get my deposit, short block is toast!

Today, I noticed the car was in their service area and contacted them on the status of the car. The dealer is replacing the short block, and they are eager to make a deal. Any advice? Never owned a LGT before, and don't want to buy a headache.

Thanks!

-Jake

I don't know, will it be a brand new shortblock? Do they refresh the heads? You have the upper hand I'd say, if I thought they did a good job I'd ask for a warranty and really play the angle that you just don't know about a car with the engine just replaced.

Be careful of metal contamination through the oil system. Do you know exactly what failed on the car? That would help us guide you a little better. What I'm getting at is that a simple replacement of the shortblock may not be enough to ensure that this engine goes the long haul. The biggest problem when an engine goes is the potential for metal contamination to spread throughout via the engine oil. This could cause wear on other parts too and potentially premature failure again. If there is suspicion of the oil getting contaminated, here's a worst-case list of items of concern:

- Oil pan: They had to pull it off to replace the shortblock. Did they see any metal or "glitter" in there? The oil pan is difficult to get completely cleaned and recommended to be replaced if contaminated.

- Oil cooler: A bit more expensive but also a place that is difficult to clean completely.

- Oil control valves. Those are probably due to replace anyways. There is one per head and they control your variable valve timing for the intake cam.

- There are a couple of banjo bolts in the oil lines with filters in them. They are not as much of a problem on this year but have them check the screens.

- The metal on metal sound may have actually been the turbo failing that may have spewed metal into the oil, taking out the engine bearings too. So, have them check out the turbo itself for shaft play.

- If possibly, have them flush out any external oil lines.

- Lastly, have them check the heads, particularly the cam journals for potential wear.

I'm not trying to scare you, just pointing out the potential pitfalls since you are not familiar with this platform. Additionally, the following items would be good to check during a shortblock replacement:

- Check the heads mating surface to ensure they are flat. Deck them if out of spec.

- Check the oil pickup tube. Not sure if it was a problem for this year but had this problem, but some of the OE ones developed a crack around the brazen joint and were the reported cause of oil starvation/engine failure. You can buy an aftermarket one from Moroso or Killer B Motorsports.

Again, these items may not be an issue (lacking the complete story), but they would be the things I would check if the engine died and the shortblock was being replaced.

Good luck to you!

As boxkita said, make sure its a one year engine and drivetrain warranty. Also, some helpful advice: read the fine print on the warranty!! It has very valuable info on what is covered and what isn't covered, and that is some of the best knowledge to have especially when its a car that needs more tlc than some and can be costly to fix. Also, if they try to void the warranty, then you have the knowledge to possibly stop this from happening.

generally if the block is toast, your oil is like a glitter bomb of metal. That oil goes through ALOT of things including the turbo. Anything the oil touches has to be replaced to be done correctly, including the turbo.

GL man

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Thank you for the advice! I guess my first comment of block being toast was too aggressive. Dealer states the noise was coming from the bottom of the engine, and they found the issue the root of the problem when they took a second look at the car. I don't know the exact problem, but i'll post once I do.

I will be forwarding saltysubie's list to the service manager, and see what the dealer's response will be.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Thank you for the advice! I guess my first comment of block being toast was too aggressive. Dealer states the noise was coming from the bottom of the engine, and they found the issue the root of the problem when they took a second look at the car. I don't know the exact problem, but i'll post once I do.

I will be forwarding saltysubie's list to the service manager, and see what the dealer's response will be.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Remember they are Salesmen at the end of the day;)

Update:

Took delivery on the car on Monday. Everything sounds ok, and what a huge difference between now and how the car felt on my initial test drive.

Ordered new rotors and pads from KNS Brakes (Centric Prem. and Hawk HPS pads) to solve steering wheel shimmy when braking.

Quick question: How long should a rebuilt engine burn oil? Just had an oil change after 300 miles, (being very cautious...) and noticed small amount of blue smoke from under the hood when I arrived at work (50 mile commute).

I'm going to perform the airbag solder fix at lunch, since I noticed it come on when I had a passenger with me for the first time.

Blue smoke under the hood could be oil that got on the exhaust during the change. If its constant there is a leak somewhere if it wasnt smoking prior to the change you know to check the oil cooler and filter and turbo lines

Blue smoke could be penetrating oil they put on the exhaust bolts burning off. It could be a leaking valvecover, a leaking headgasket, a leaking turbo oil line, a leaking front main seal, a leaking oil filter housing, the list goes on. Give it a day or two and if you still see it bring it back and have them fix it.

Update:

Took delivery on the car on Monday. Everything sounds ok, and what a huge difference between now and how the car felt on my initial test drive.

Ordered new rotors and pads from KNS Brakes (Centric Prem. and Hawk HPS pads) to solve steering wheel shimmy when braking.

Quick question: How long should a rebuilt engine burn oil? Just had an oil change after 300 miles, (being very cautious...) and noticed small amount of blue smoke from under the hood when I arrived at work (50 mile commute).

I'm going to perform the airbag solder fix at lunch, since I noticed it come on when I had a passenger with me for the first time.

good luck! post pics, give it atleast 1000 miles.

2017 Subaru STI

2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i limited

Archived