LegacyGT.com

Mild Upgrade Question

I have a few questions regarding my upgrade path for my 07 LGT 5 Speed. I want to keep this build very simple and mild. I have a two year warranty on the car still and just want to free up some extra power. So far I have a SPC intake and a generic ebay cat-back exhaust. Im thinking a downpipe (catted vs noncatted) and an Acessport V3 will get me close to my goals of 300 horsepower at the wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions and or advice for a simple build looking to just free up some power??

You've already answered your own question, only overestimated your final results (typical, wishful thinking).

You're going to want to research some Stage 2 builds. Look at inter cooler upgrades. There are solutions to fit any budget. Enjoy your 230-250ish whp/tq. It's much nicer than stock.

A custom tune should be mandatory. Dyno or E-tune via the vendors on this board!!!!

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I have a few questions regarding my upgrade path for my 07 LGT 5 Speed. I want to keep this build very simple and mild. I have a two year warranty on the car still and just want to free up some extra power. So far I have a SPC intake and a generic ebay cat-back exhaust. Im thinking a downpipe (catted vs noncatted) and an Acessport V3 will get me close to my goals of 300 horsepower at the wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions and or advice for a simple build looking to just free up some power??

I can help you free up some power AND some dollars!

First, call the warranty place and get a prorated cashout. It won't score you a new motor when your shit goes kaboom -- which is really what you need it for. Aside from that, you really have no need for it, other than to fix onesie-twosie $100-$200 items that you probably could have done yourself.

Cash that check and score a used V2 AP for about $325-350, (or pay $650 for the 3 if you're feeling froggy! Hey, it's your money, bro!) then get a Cobb CATTED DP (http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-589-cobb-legacy-gt-outback-xt-downpipe.aspx) for $535 and free shipping. That'll put you at a basic Stage2, which is about 225-230 at the wheels. Consider doing an airpump delete (mostly for longevity's sake) and then check out the Custom VF40 from JmP6889928. (Send a PM, tell him I sent you ;) ), then get a nice, custom dyno tune. You'll see upper 280s.

You want 300, you're going to need the above, fuel pump, bigger injectors and/or a topfeed conversion, and at least a 16g.

Until then, ditch that intake -- it's causing you to run lean and will eventually destroy your motor, even on a Stage1 tune. Have you had a compression and leakdown test done, at all? How about a Blackstone oil analysis? Just like all quests for power, please consult with a physician first.

Welcome, and good luck!

I can help you free up some power AND some dollars!

Cash that check and score a used V2 AP for about $325-350, (or pay $650 for the 3 if you're feeling froggy! Hey, it's your money, bro!) then get a Cobb CATTED DP (http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-589-cobb-legacy-gt-outback-xt-downpipe.aspx) for $535 and free shipping. That'll put you at a basic Stage2, which is about 225-230 at the wheels. Consider doing an airpump delete (mostly for longevity's sake) and then check out the Custom VF40 from JmP6889928. (Send a PM, tell him I sent you ;) ), then get a nice, custom dyno tune. You'll see upper 280s.

You want 300, you're going to need the above, fuel pump, bigger injectors and/or a topfeed conversion, and at least a 16g.

Until then, ditch that intake -- it's causing you to run lean and will eventually destroy your motor, even on a Stage1 tune. Have you had a compression and leakdown test done, at all? How about a Blackstone oil analysis? Just like all quests for power, please consult with a physician first.

Welcome, and good luck!

he has an 07. we have top feeds already.

needs? full exhaust from turbo back, vf52, pump, intercooler. i dont think a cobb ap is absolutely required for a flash and dyno tune.

the 07 ecu is more adaptable as well when talking about an intake.

Just like all quests for power, please consult with a physician first.

Hello, I am looking to become an all powerful dictator, do I need to see my physician too? :spin:

To add something useful here, I have this setup: VF52, cheapo catless DP (bad idea, fits poorly/smells like a snowmachine), catless UP (also fits poorly, was used, but it's an Agency Power I believe), EBCS. The car runs good, I only have 90 octane up here, so I made 240whp on blizzak winter tires (which probably sucked some numbers out according to the tuner). I'm happy with it for a daily.

he has an 07. we have top feeds already.

needs? full exhaust from turbo back, vf52, pump, intercooler. i dont think a cobb ap is absolutely required for a flash and dyno tune.

Yes, yes and sort of... Cobb AP not req'd, and I still don't advise the SPT intake. All you really need is a K&N panel filter in the stock box, and a Perrin (or similar) turbo inlet. the 07 ecu may be more adaptable, but that doesn't mean you should tempt fate for a MILD upgrade.

Keep in mind that your upgrades should always be based on your performance goals. Don't just throw a mess of aftermarket parts at it without proper planning. That would be like trying to run a marathon without training first. You might reach the finish line, but you'll pay for it later on.

What makes you say that? Did Subaru revise the tune for the 07+ cars?

Although if you are trying to get to 300whp absolutely no reason to add any parts to your car without getting a tune...

Had to. 07s have different heads, which flow differently, as well as the addition of the airpumps; hence, the difference between APs -- SUB-002 for 05-06, SUB-003 for 07-09.

Had to. 07s have different heads, which flow differently, as well as the addition of the airpumps; hence, the difference between APs -- SUB-002 for 05-06, SUB-003 for 07-09.

07+ also changed over to CAN bus. had to wait a while for the ap to be released because of this.

no cat in uppipe as well hence the air pump as you mentioned.

heads are different? what was changed? i never knew this. my 07 has always pulled to red line. ive seen graphs from 05-06 and they drop off a bit more early than my 07 does but i thought that was due to me not breaking it in. actually my 07 doesnt drop off. it starts to level out near red line with a pia tune.

07+ also changed over to CAN bus. had to wait a while for the ap to be released because of this.

no cat in uppipe as well.

heads are different? what was changed? i never knew this. my 07 has always pulled to red line. ive seen graphs from 05-06 and they drop off a bit more early than my 07 does but i thought that was due to me not breaking it in. actually my 07 doesnt drop off. it starts to level out near red line with a pia tune.

Heads are completely different. D25 heads have the air pumps in them.

Tune was revised as Tris points out, but that does not mean the tune is any better. I am just finishing up a rebuild on my 07 due to ringland failure...

Archived