LegacyGT.com

18x8.5 +44 on 245s Rubbing Rear on Stock Suspension

08qsm

Sorry to create another thread, I tried to search and I found a lot of good info but everything is always relative to someones specific setup. Currently I am on stock suspension but looking to drop the car in the near future. So I just need to be sure whatever I do works now and in the future.

Long story short, got some Rota Gravels in 18x8.5 on 245/40/18 that have basically no tread, but I threw them on anyway to see how they would fit. If any rubbing etc etc...well they do rub. Mainly in the rear, I'm new to this but I believe it to be the spring perch? Happens on most potholes and under load like if I am going up a hill or accelerating hard.

So what would I need to fix this? Since I am buying new tires anyway I am open for tire size suggestions, I heard 235s would fit fine but 245s are just the ideal tire size. If I can get them to fit with the right mods then why not?

Wheel spacers? How many mm?

Saggy butt spacers?

Different springs/struts with higher perch? Coilovers?

Given the above will I have to roll any fenders?

Or just go with 235s and not worry about all this. Thanks guys!

If you want to lower your car, your fenders are going to want to party. So I'd say either get your fenders rolled and/or run smaller tires. I wouldn't bother with wheel spacers or saggy butts until you've lowered it and ran into problems. I'm on 18x9 +35 with 235s and lowered a little over an inch on coilovers with my fenders rolled and a little camber.

spacers only help if you rubbing on the inside. with that size and offset, you are rubbing on the fender. putting a spacer will only make it worse. either you roll/pull the fender. or run more negative camber in the rear, which means buying some sort of camber adjustment.

Roll Fenders!!!! DO NOT..DONT. WHEEL SPACERS WILL DESTROY WHEEL BEARING!! WHEEL SPACERS ARE DANGEROUS. I don't know why people run them buy the right wheel and tire setup and you don't have to worry about it.

And how exactly are wheel spacers any more "dangerous" than running a wheel with a much different than stock offset?

• Moderators
...well they do rub. Mainly in the rear, I'm new to this but I believe it to be the spring perch? Happens on most potholes and under load like if I am going up a hill or accelerating hard.

Just FYI, the distance between tire and spring perch (well, lower spring perch) does not change when you hit bumps or load up the suspension. It can change a bit in the front when you turn the wheels, but is static in the rear.

Sounds like you are making contact with fenders, fender liner, or something like that.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

It can change a bit in the front when you turn the wheels, but is static in the rear.

nope. it still says the same. remember the strut turns with the knuckle. so the distance between the tire and perch is maintained.

I have Rota SVN 18x8.5 +48 offset with 245/40/18 Michelin Pilots on a 2005 Outback.

I lowered my car with Legacy GT struts/springs and Koni inserts on all fours. However, I have 1/2" saggy butt spacers in the rear. I haven't experienced rubbing yet, but I am hitting my rear bumpstops. For sure, my 245 tires clear the struts/spring perch. I can fit my pinky finger in between...or barely.. lets just say half my pinky thickness.

Here's my thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bay-area-koni-insert-install-239073.html?p=5134974#post5134974

Sorry to thread jack but I'm doing something very similar and also did not want to start a new thread...

18X8.5 et46

245/40R18 Dunlop SP

Koni Inserts

Eibach Pro Kit

I'm assuming I need to roll...but I'd like to avoid that and if 235/40's are the answer I guess that I'll bit the bullet once my 225/40's wear out.

Any help would be appreciated...I do not have the wheels in hand yet or I would be measuring to see what kinda clearance I have but if I'm going to run on the spring perch I'll just go a different route as I have no interest in spacers...especially with this wide of a wheel.

id go for a 245/35/18 tire and you are gonna definitely want to roll/pull the fenders, and buy some camber bolts for the front and the KCA399 bushings for camber in the rear. the more negative camber you run, the less you will have to pull the fender

you can do it, but you will need the perfect wheel. a 245/35/18 on a 18x8 wheel with a +51 offset will fit with very little roll.

its still worth getting the rear camber bushing though. Not being able to dial in rear camber with factory adjustments sucks.

I'm definitely staying with the wheel and I have some nice 225/40's I can run this year...messing with too many corners at this point to jump back into suspension. I really hate the idea of a stretch, at all, anymore but it's what I have...I have a buddy who was getting rid of the Dunlops cheap. Maybe next year. :/

Archived