LegacyGT.com

Brake line broken from salt corrosion

I have a 2006 Legacy spec.B. Also of importance, I live in Wisconsin (where we have a lot of salt on the roads in the winter).

I took my car in a couple days ago to a local auto shop for inspection because I was noticing some vibrating/shaking with the brakes. While the mechanic was driving the car, he said all of a sudden the brake pedal went all the way to the floor, and the car was not slowing down much.

Bottom line:

#1: the vibrating/shaking was due to the front left caliper not "releasing" all the way, causing the brake rotor to heat-up excessively.

#2: one of the brake lines snapped!

When I heard what happened, I of course looked it up on Google. I found in 2013 and 2014 there were recalls for brake line corrosion (for 2005-2009 models).

The auto shop is replacing the bad brake caliper, and putting in a new brake line. I then called a Subaru dealer/service shop, who said they would inspect the car in two days, and if necessary they will put on a "rustproof coating."

I am concerned about the other brake lines failing in the future!!

What do you guys think about this? Has this happened to anyone else?

I thought the recall was specific to a part near the fuel tank? I had Subaru City in MKE take a look at my car a couple of years ago, it didn't need any attention.

Did the rubber like hose break or the hard line?

http://www.subaru.com/vehicle-recalls.html that's the link to check recalls on any Subaru vehicle,also it will tell u if it has been done and other recalls u might not know about would be posted there as well! As mentioned before take it to a Subaru dealership and they will do all the work to include replacing such parts if necessary! Also in the Subaru dealership, they will be able to look up the recall maintenance history(like in the link) and perform any other recall maintenance that the vehicle requires! Good luck!

Archived