LegacyGT.com

Engine movement at idle

Hey guys,

I have a 2000 Brighton Wagon with the 2.5 and 5MT. At idle the engine rocks quite a bit right-left & can be felt throughout the whole car. The idle is fairly steady in terms of RPM which leads me to believe it is NOT the IACV. Listening to the exhaust, it is not misfiring, and the engine mounts are in decent shape. Didn't get to look at the pitch stopper though. I thought that was for back & forth movement more than right-left. I am getting a new transmission mount soon though the original on is shot, would that help the "rock" any? I have never owned a boxer-type engine so I don't know how much "rock" is normal for them.

When I bought the car it had headgaskets done and other work so I'm guessing they unplugged the battery at the dealership. Does the idle re-learn process HAVE to be done? or is it just B.S.? Every other vehicle I had, it wasn't necessary..

Thanks

I thought about the GroupN mounts, but when I looked at my current mounts, I have the "Pancake" (round) type :( I didn't think the GroupN mounts would fit as they are square. The tranny mount is most definitely going to be a GroupN. I am really into racing, so any added NVH doesn't bother me at all. Which is what I hear the GroupN mounts will add...

I thought about the GroupN mounts, but when I looked at my current mounts, I have the "Pancake" (round) type :( I didn't think the GroupN mounts would fit as they are square. The tranny mount is most definitely going to be a GroupN. I am really into racing, so any added NVH doesn't bother me at all. Which is what I hear the GroupN mounts will add...

The GN mounts fit ALL EJ-series engines, including the NAs.

FWIW, all of the factory mounts are the round deals.

Sounds like a plan. This car does need a clutch. Before me, it was used by someone to learn how to drive manual on.............

Have read it's much easier to pull the engine than drop transmission due to the transaxle etc. When I order them, they will be put on when I put the new clutch in.

Thanks!! I can't wait

So these ones should fit?: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Mounts-Legacy-Listing-Fitment/dp/B00ANOV24G]Amazon.com: Group N Subaru Motor Mounts Set! Legacy Gt, Sti, WRX See Listing for Fitment!: Automotive[/ame]

Or is there a certain bracket I need?

Thanks,

So these ones should fit?: Amazon.com: Group N Subaru Motor Mounts Set! Legacy Gt, Sti, WRX See Listing for Fitment!: Automotive

Or is there a certain bracket I need?

Thanks,

Technically, yes, but, there's no guarantee you get the plates (pictured above) that are required to mount them.

Here, try these guys, also a CO Subaru dealership, and where I ordered mine from -

http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-1021-sti-hardened-group-n-engine-and-transmission-mounts.aspx

You'll want to order the extra nuts, or source your own M10(?) flanged hex nuts -

Yes, I was just using that as a reference. The FlatIronsTuning ones are cheaper anyways and come with the bracket for sure!! lol.

I can source my own hardware, as there are hardware stores everywhere near me or can order them from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks!!

Yes, I was just using that as a reference. The FlatIronsTuning ones are cheaper anyways and come with the bracket for sure!! lol.

I can source my own hardware, as there are hardware stores everywhere near me or can order them from McMaster-Carr.

Thanks!!

Well, a couple of things to note - most hardware places will only carry zinc-plated nuts, which don't last long under your car/exposed to the elements and heat cycles.

The Subaru-brand ones have a special coating on them (looks a bit like OD green) that helps them to withstand the rigors of where they're at on the car. Looking back, I would have bought those instead of sourcing my own from Fastenal because I had to have "blingy nuts".

Yeah, you won't see me go to Fastenal. Now ya gotta buy 100pc bag!! lol. McMaster-Carr has them in Stainless Steel, or I think they might have them coated.

Do you know if they are just the standard M10x1.5pitch? Or is the pitch different..

Hmmm, okay. Yeah, I would think it would have been a little finer than 1.5. McMaster-Carr does carry the 1.5pitch though it's not seen too often. I'll find out when I get the mounts though. I will match them up at that time.

Thanks again

Archived