LegacyGT.com

2007 Legacy 2.5i AC question

Hi,

I have a 2007 Legacy 2.5 non turbo. When i turn on the AC, over a spam that ranges from several minutes, if it's really hot and humid to an hour if it's not so hot out, i will notice the volume of air coming out of my dash vents slowly begin to decline. The AC appears to continue to function, i.e., the compressor is still engaged, but the air volume decreases to the point of almost no air coming out. When i shut it off and let it sit for a while then turn it on again, it will work for some time then the problem re emerges.

When i left the hood and inspect the low pressure line leading into the firewall, i see that it is completely frosted over.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and what my potential solutions are. I have not brought the car in for a mechanic to look at it, nor have i checked the refrigerant level. I have, however replaced the cabin air filter, and in fact, tried to run the system with the filter completed out, but the problem persists.

Thanks,

Gerard

I *think* this is a symptom of a system with low refrigerant level.

That said, if the refrigerant level is okay, its the regulator that cycles the compressor on and off during normal operation. If the compressor doesn't cycle, the evaporator will get too cold and frost up.

I don't think this is a costly repair but you need someone who knows more about the specifics than my general knowledge.

Archived