LegacyGT.com

Stock 2008 LGT exhaust

jj808

Well, its time to do the deed and it seems like the person I bought my car from took it upon himself to remove the catalytic converter from the exhaust. I have this deep down feeling that this wont pass visual inspection so does anyone have a bone stock exhaust that will fit a 2008 Legacy GT 5MT sedan that I can borrow for a short while? I only need to pass smog then I can return it. This car is leaving Cali in July so after that I wont give a shit. =)

Registration expires in may and I don't want to be driving on expired registration. Don't need to tempt fate this close to leaving.

The mid cat or at least I think there was one there. The exhaust pipe has been cut and a short straight pipe was welded in.

• Moderators

I have a spare second half of a downpipe that has been gutted, but looks visually the same as stock. Pretty sure it's LGT-fitment. If you want it I can probably ship it to you for fairly cheap.

It's the piece with the rear o2 sensor bung in it.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think that is the piece I need but shipping it across the country would be overly expensive. Also, since it is gutted passing the smog test might be a concern too. The old sniffer up the tail pipe test. Thank you but I think this might be a last resort.

• Moderators
that might be the resonator.. I believe the cats are up closer to the engine..

There is a cat close to the turbo, then one directly aft of the rear O2 sensor. Following that is the bolted connection to the one-piece mid/y pipe that contains a flat resonator.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I think that is the piece I need but shipping it across the country would be overly expensive. Also, since it is gutted passing the smog test might be a concern too. The old sniffer up the tail pipe test. Thank you but I think this might be a last resort.

I'm 95% sure that they won't even be putting a sniffer in the tailpipe. It should be all visual and reading a diagnostic off your ODBII. 2002+ gets that treatment, I believe.

91913 in county SAN DIEGO is Enhanced

In an Enhanced Area, you must obtain your inspection at a Smog Check station which has the BAR-97 Emissions Inspection System, the most modern type of test equipment. Your car will be tested for harmful levels of emissions of hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and Oxides of Nitrogen, an important smog-forming compound. All Smog Check stations in Enhanced areas are required to have the BAR-97 equipment. Your car must be tested every two years, when sold, or upon initial California registration. If your registration renewal notice indicates your vehicle has been directed to a Test-Only Center, then you must bring it to one of these types of stations, which offer testing but no repairs.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, didn't need it after all. The guy saw the aftermarket intake and fixated on that. He really thought it was not CARB legal and seriously wanted to fail me for it. The previous owner had installed it but failed to attach the CARB sticker anywhere I guess. The technician had to jump through a few hoops to find the carb number for it. Glad he did cause I had no clue... Anyway he fixated on that so much that he totally forgot to look for the catalytic converters or the lack thereof and when ahead with the testing. Amazingly enough I passed everything else and now I get to spend quality time at the joyful DMV.

Archived