LegacyGT.com

Gauge Cluster Error 'Er HC'

Hey guys,

I'm working on a swap for my 2005 outback 2.5i 4EAT. I built up a ver. 4 STi engine with forged internals and custom fuel lines plus I also swapped in a 5MT 4.44 JDM STi gearbox.

Here's the engine bay as it sits today; wiring is all over the place but wanted to verify the car starts and idles o.k

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s597/mwakima/IMG_3807_zpsf1fpjfs5.jpg

Now trying to start the car using the key and getting the gauges to work correctly is proving problematic; any one with pointers on how to fix this? Wiring is not my strong point! The CAN BUS system is out of whack with the original ECU, TCU and auto tranny unavailable. I can experiment and bypass bits here and there but wondering if there's a clean solution to overcome this.

Here's my cluster as it sits now.

http://i1307.photobucket.com/albums/s597/mwakima/IMG_3810_zpsuulfssjp.jpg

Thanks guys for the replies.

The wiring diagram on the service manual really helped; I was able to byass the inhibitor switch setup for the A/T to start the car using the key. Other bits I got working are the speedo, tach and fuel pump. The only thing that has caused me to give up is the stinking fuel gauge; I just can't figure out how to get the gauge working. I'll just use something aftermarket and get the car on the road; I'll get back to this science project later. I'm going to throw in an aftermarket ECU so will explore using CANBus Hubs and such.

This really threw me off; we do swaps all the time to impreza's and foresters in that 2003-2007 range and they don't have this wiring system. It didn't occur to me to check for this.

• 1 year later...

Ah realized I never came back here to say how I sorted out this issue. I worked with Andrew Todd at AGT Engineering in Australia to build a Canbus translator that fixed all the issues with the speedo, temp gauge and other associated Canbus errors. Works like a charm; I have a non-canbus engine now running seamlessly in my Outback.

Your can see the Canbus translator in action here

https://www.facebook.com/AGTEngineering/videos

First off, you need to edit that "Wiring is not my strong point!" If you can do what your did...

Next question, does Cruise control work ?

What you did is pretty amazing. Thanks for updating us.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Haha well after getting together with Andrew, it was all pretty simple actually.

My version of the car did not have cruise control so I didn't need to bother with that. It shouldn't be too complicated though to get that working.

Basically what Andrew and I did was figure out the components on the car that we needed to convert to send on the canbus network. In my case, the water temperature and gearbox speed pulse were the only inputs that wouldn't work correctly outside of the canbus network. Andrew then went on to build the translator which was very easy to wire in to the car.

Some pretty talented people have done the auto to manual swap in these cars, none have got CC to work.

Dave Brady, shop foreman at http://www.enhancedstreetperformance.com/ was one of the first to do the swap. You might want to contact him and chat about your swap.

That's also where my Tuner runs the Dyno.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived