LegacyGT.com

Cracked head by oil presure sensor help

So long story but I have a 2006 Legacy 2.5i and notice small oil drips. This happened to my saabaru so I got some new oil presure sensors and it was a easy fix back in fall.

Anyways when I went to torque the pasenger side on the legacy to spec it felt off and I notice a major crack (My thoughts are there was a previous fracture there). I atemped to do a temp JB patch job but it didn't hold.

Well I'm just looking for option's now.

1) My friends keep putting the bug in my ear to just do an STi swap. But honestly I have a wedding to pay for in a month and a half.

2) Buy the head assembly and try to do it myself with friends. Don't know how involved this is? Would the motor have to be pulled? Any walk through?

3) Just bitting the bullet and tow it to a shop and pay the premium. Don't know how much that would cost?

4) My friend suggested plugging the hole completely and have the pasenger side presure sensor not plug into anything. Not sure if this would just throw an check engine light or put the car into limp mode? But if it makes her drivable untill after the wedding I'd have more cash to play with.

Thoughts?

I did HGs on my 01 outback a couple years back. I did it with the engine in the car, had to jack it up some for the driver side. If I had to pull the heads again I would just pull the motor. It's a real pain in the car.

Unless you have a very knowledgeable friend I'd skip the STi swap at this point since you have the wedding soon. Plus it will cost over $3500 just for parts (plus a lot of time to do the actual swap), unless you can get a rear ended STi for free.

I'm sure a shop will charge you over $1000 for the job (labor), and the head assembly won't come cheap either.

Maybe cheaper to find a low mileage used motor and just do a straight swap?

It's bad. A small piece actually came off.

Well a crack can be fixed by a skilled welder if you now have a hole then you should swap on a head(s) from 06-09 EJ253. People crack the Sending unit bung area often.

A picture of the crack/hole would help us dial in the best fix if not you need a new head and if you do 1 you might as well do both to address the HGs which means $1800 easy from a shop + the new head. You can do it with the engine in the car but make sure you check the block and head for true before bolting it back up. Very common for a DIY HG job to fail again in 20K miles b/c one or both wasn't true from the start :)

Thanks for the help guys. Gonna tackle this myself with my friends. Just looking for a used head. If I keep her STi swap in the future. But most likely sell her and get another wagon.

Can anyone direct me to a good walk through? My friends have lots of experience but mostly on Hondas.

Thanks guys

And here is how bad it is... There must have been a previous crack there before I atemped to install it. I mean I did the exact same steps on my wagon in the fall and the drivers side on the legacy was fine... oh well. I just wish I could just plug the hole and drive her for 2 months till after the wedding.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/04/04/972fdb5ce999912be643c6dedc2ca561.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1428209671341.thumb.jpg.61fe593e6d182a54cbe4c9c769f64bd4.jpg

I would plug that hole and deal with it after your wedding or tap for OP elsewhere on the engine. The oil pressure gauges on these cars aren't super helpful so a reading at the pump could work. I would first talk to a shop about possible fixes my one concern would be introducing metal into the oil via the process of fixing it (welding the area solid, drilling and tapping) but it could be so little if any, that it wont be a problem. You could always weld the sending unit in there with the expectation a new one should last longer than your car or until you get around to replacing the head (HG failure).

If I were to plug the hole for now would the car be drivable without the OP sensor reading anything? Will it go into limp mode or cause any damage? 7 more weeks the wedding will be done and I'll have the cash to fix it properly without stretching the budget.

Archived