LegacyGT.com

random questions, new owner, etc

HG blew in my 97 legacy outback. luckily, scooby mech's employee had a 91 legacy he had fixed and traded me for it. car seems to mostly purr: no weird idle, 2.2 motor (no hg issues like the 2.5 i had), clean interior.

only a few minor issues: rear wheel bearing needs replacement, brakes and rotors, paint job. there is a random CEL coming on, but im going back in a week to see if i can get it to throw while im at my mechs (it comes on and off, im suspecting MAF sensor based on reading here) and figure out whats up with it. i did have a few random questions id like answered, since scooby v.9 is with the wife at work and i cant go out and look at her:

headlight style? searched this forum, didnt see anything on it. amazon part locator says 9004. google says HB5/9007. which is it?

radio replacement. will it accept a double din, or am i stuck with single? the hole for a radio doesnt look quite big enough for a DD, but it looks like the tray below it can come out...

fog lights? i dont see any stock holes, so drilling the bumper somewhere is what im looking at, no? where do people place switches? the outback i had, it had spare switch spots that didnt have a switch in them that i was going to use. this legacy, does not.

HID? are retro kits with projectors available? i dont want to do it the ghetto way and just wire in the lights without a projector lens in there and the bright light plate.

finally, is there any way to tell if the AWD is actually engaged? i have brand new falken sensia? tires on it (literally, 30 miles on them) and if i take off 'normally', as i did in my outback, ill still squeal the front tires it seems.

thanks! ill post pix eventually, tomorrows a day off and i plan on restoring the headlights (they are nasty yellow) and giving her a good detail.

nope, no fuse there in the FWD slot, im familiar with that fuse slot. only reason i ask is i cant take off very hard without squealing the brand new tires on it. only time my 97 did that was when FWD was engaged.

You can put a dd or single din.

You can put do a projector retrofit. Mnstrmech did.

short of ebay and china parts, does anyone reputable sell a complete housing with projector already installed?

nope, no fuse there in the FWD slot, im familiar with that fuse slot. only reason i ask is i cant take off very hard without squealing the brand new tires on it. only time my 97 did that was when FWD was engaged.

Okay, then with no fuse, you are in AWD mode. It's either the new tires or it is possible that your CEL is the Duty C (?) solenoid acting up in the transmission. I think the Duty C has something to do with engaging the center diff for AWD. But I could be wrong, just going on info I think I remember seeing in some threads here.

Okay, then with no fuse, you are in AWD mode. It's either the new tires or it is possible that your CEL is the Duty C (?) solenoid acting up in the transmission. I think the Duty C has something to do with engaging the center diff for AWD. But I could be wrong, just going on info I think I remember seeing in some threads here.

cool, thanks for the info. going in this weekend to have her looked at for the minor issues i found. should hopefully get it squared away.

the CEL seems to not come on when cold, but once shes warmed up and trned off/on, the CEL shows up. that help any? :D

Check your trouble codes yourself. You don't need a scanner. Just connect some connectors under your dash and count the blinks. Instructions here: http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

The fluting on the headlights can be worked around. Mnstrmech used some plexiglass from Home Depot or something like that. He cut off the front of the headlights and glued the plexiglass on. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/whatd-you-do-your-first-gen-subaru-todayi-167768.html?p=4982658

I tried to get him to do a write up.

Check your trouble codes yourself. You don't need a scanner. Just connect some connectors under your dash and count the blinks. Instructions here: http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html

The fluting on the headlights can be worked around. Mnstrmech used some plexiglass from Home Depot or something like that. He cut off the front of the headlights and glued the plexiglass on. http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/whatd-you-do-your-first-gen-subaru-todayi-167768.html?p=4982658

I tried to get him to do a write up.

Sorry I didn't do a write up, I'm the kinda guy that just does it, gets it done then take some pics.

HOWEVER........ I DO have another set of headlamps ìm planning on doing this to just to sell.

along with my current little project of phenolic intake spacers....more on that later.

But the headlamps.... was actually quite easy. You just need a steady hand. Plus they are holding up really well after Indiana winter and car washes.

Sorry I didn't do a write up, I'm the kinda guy that just does it, gets it done then take some pics.

HOWEVER........ I DO have another set of headlamps ìm planning on doing this to just to sell.

along with my current little project of phenolic intake spacers....more on that later.

But the headlamps.... was actually quite easy. You just need a steady hand. Plus they are holding up really well after Indiana winter and car washes.

im interested. tell me what youre thinking in regards to price here or PM. ill likely take em off your hands, ive been wanting to do an HID upgrade for a while.

secondly, is there any double DIN stereo i shouldnt get? the one that came with the car(aftermarket sony) turns on but doesnt work beyond that. wanted to go double din, dont care about cup holders.

I'll have to think about the price.it will probably be a month or so before I do them, got some other big projects to do first as the weather just started warming up here.

As far as headunits, I'm partial to kenwood. Installed a few and owned a few, always happy with there headunits.

double DIN though? crutchfield says DD isnt compatible. id rather use up the space there. prev. owner did install a pocket, so single DIN doesnt look weird.

take your time on the headlights. im still recovering from blowing the HG in my 97 and getting finances back in order. in a month i should easily have a few hundred to drop on it.

You can do a double din. The space is 2.5 din so you need to take out the pocket, bolt the double din to the factory bracket and then install a trim piece to hide whatever gap is left. You can search on bbslegacycentral and you'll see that it is possible. Personally I like single dins since they are much cheaper and then you get to use the pocket for storage.

I've also had good luck with Kenwoods. They are under $100 and work great.

I just got a Sony CDX-GT575UP (single-din) and installed it this past weekend. Plug and play with the Metra 70-1780 harness adapter. Just solder up the wires and shrink tube the connections. Super easy. This is my 3rd Sony HU and the sound is far superior to the old Pioneer HU that was in the car when I bought it.

I am using the 1.5 din space for gauges and chucking the cubby (single-din).

• 2 weeks later...
the problem is that it's hard to anchor anything to it. say a couch (which is about a hundred pounds or so), was MUCH easier to mount on cross bars that sat ABOVE the side rails than it would be on these (they sit almost flush with the side rails).

Archived