LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT studder/cough stage 1 & stock map

starbai007

Hey guys.

2010 LGT 2.5 6-speed with 82k miles, nothing but oil changes done so far with Stage 1. AP installed at around 10k without issues until now....

I was on my way to pick up a DP from a member on here and while on the Parkway with my Stage 1 map for over 70k I did my normal 3rd gear WOT...and somewhere around the 4-5k rpm my subby had some serious hesitation/chock would pick up and than choke again. The car felt like it had a missfire...i'm no mechanic, but this was concerning so I didnt pick up the DP as this may be severe issues.

I pulled over and in a panic reset the ECU. Of course i know now this wasn't the best idea, but than did a log and found the same issue. I was a little scared so went back to my Stage 0 map and still found the same hesitation just not as severe. Here's a more detailed log which i've taken a picture of but i'm not a big fan of Of what's happening on Cycl 4 specifically...am I missing something else? I replaced the air filter as that thing was crazy dirty, but the hesitation is still here only with WOT, other than that car runs fine and there is no issues at idle. I'm leaning toward replacing plugs or coils....

Let me know if I'm missing something or going down the wrong path here....:spin:

What he said. It's somewhere between common and inevitable that one or both of the rubber gaskets on the TMIC to TB coupler hose will get pushed out, so I'd start there. Pull 'em both out, put the coupler back on as it was, and tighten the worm clamps down, see if that helps at all.

For what it's worth, when I pulled my TMIC at around 52k mi, I loosened the clamp on the TMIC side, and the hose came off of the TB because the gasket was just about to push out. Even if that doesn't turn out to be your issue, it's a good idea from a preventive maintenance standpoint.

Check those things. However I suspect it's a coil pack. I couldn't get in WOT without crazy shuddering. Replaced cyl 4 coil, now everything runs smooth again

Then since you can log, log the 'roughness' parameter per cylinder. This will log a misfire count per cylinder. You can then rule out or confirm ignition and/or fuel delivery issues (hopefully not mechanical).

Thanks for all the replies guys. I did a lot of searching the past couple days on boost leaks and vacuum leaks online. It's been raining here in jersey but will definitely try loosing and reattaching all houses, and hope it's that simple. Since I haven't had the plugs replaced I'm thinking next oil change I'll get that done also.

I did throw up one log and shows a pretty high reading on cyl 4...maybe a coil or plug, but will make sure I secure all lines before moving to suspect coil packs or plugs just yet.

I sure do miss Stage 1 WOT...

I had a look at your log. I did see the misfire count in cylinder 4 (although it is low) . It was occurring when rpm was between 2300 and 4500 rpms. It was not under boost though. Anyway, I would definitely check coil pack and spark plugs, and possibly injector. And yeah, do rule out vacuum/boost leak.

Saw one tube that may have been a little loose and plugged that in a little more. Call pulled a bit better today, but not by much.

I did howaer notice that the plastic lining under the car is missing a little bit probably from some rough driving where I hit something and it cracked off. Either way I suspect that water/snow/salt got in there and see a good amount of rust on the outside of coil pack 4. I'm thinking this may have caused the issue but won't be sure until I get some things replaced here.

Should I start with having the plugs replaced? I'm over 80k miles on original plugs? I also plan on throwing in some Lucas fuel injector cleaning tomorrow with a fresh tank of gas.

Car isn't under warranty so of course trying to avoid the stealership here....

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-l_KfToW9HOVk91dkZ1OHROLXc/edit?usp=docslist_api

edit?usp=docslist_api

You could probably swap coils around, see if that miss follows the coil from cylinder 4 or not. Couldn't hurt to at least pull a plug while you have the coil off and see what it looks like, 80k miles is getting up there.

so took the car to AZP installs over by me, looks to be running fine and maybe the fuel injector cleaner did something along with a bad tank of gas, but car pulls like a champ on the stock map. I'll run it out for one or two more tanks than reflash to stage 1 and we'll see what happens.

Could a bad tank of gas really cause that? It was also quite unusually warm that day when i had the first cough...will continue to log and fingers crossed that it doesnt come back again...

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE - issue resolved

After a couple tanks of gas car ran fine under stock map...went to stage 1 and anywhere near 3/4 throttle would buckle and jerk. Roughness pointed to cylinder4 again.

Took it to AZP Mike took a look and could see the coil on 4 was a little rusted and caroded. After replacing it took the car for a spin and she ran like a freaking champ!!! Ahhhhh it's good to be back!

I already scheduled an appointment for next week to get plugs done, but good to know the issue was a simple one.

Archived