LegacyGT.com

Navigation systems and speed sensor

snoman

I am shopping for an in-dash navigation system and noticed that most units highly recommend making a connection to the vehicle's speed sensor. How many of you have installed navigation and successfully connected the Legacy's speed signal to the unit? Where did you tap the signal and which navigation unit are you using? I'm considering an AVIC-N2 or a Kenwood unit.

I have read reports that the 2005 Legacy does not have a typical speed sensor like most cars. Instead it uses the ABS brake system to calculate the vehicle's speed, making it incompatible with aftermarket navigation units. Is this true?

Man I wish Subaru just made navigation a factory option from the beginning. I have a feeling installing navigation will be a pain in the ass (and overly expensive too). :rolleyes:

Yeah, but I figure if I'm going to shell out that kind of money for something, I want to be sure it will be fully functional.

I use GPS systems at work, and in this terrain you definitely need the "dead reckoning" functionality due to the tunnels, tall buildings, mountains, and generally slow moving traffic around the city.

I wonder if there's a way to use the ABS pulses as the speed sensor input?

i have the avic-n2, and have tested the accuracy. it is bullseye. obviously i'm not going to check its gravitational slope readouts, of course, but in terms of the speedometer reading it gives, its dead accruate. in fact it gives more accurate settings than the leggy does :) goes down to the decimal

In terms of navigating with a laptop and a GPS, I can tell you that once you have acquired 3+ satellites, your error drops to 5 meters or less and I have gotten up to the advertised 3 meter accuracy of civilian GPS units.

Certainly in urban canyons it would help...but remember there is always WAAS to strengthen the signal.

I am shopping for nav - all eyes on Pioneer AVIC-N2 but I am uncertain if I will ever get full functionality out of it...from the standpoints of connecting to rear-driving lights to having DVD playing capability...etc. Too much shit to wire in a car that is otherwise too small and too elegantly finished to start making half-assed jobs.

Archived