LegacyGT.com

Rear suspension bushing questions

landark

A few weeks back I drove over a raised manhole cover and tore my trailing arm bushing.

So I bought replacement Whiteline (W63398) bushings and I am teetering back and forth on taking it in for the work or tackling it myself - leaning toward doing it.

So, the questions are:

While I have it apart, what (if any) other bushings should I replace? Should I do the lateral links while I'm at it? Any other bushings I get would likely be rubber. I would be ok with replacing the entire links if it is that much easier.

Is it worth it to get all new nuts and bolts ahead of time?

I don't have a press, I could get one from Harbor Freight though. Any advice on size if it's worth it?

I plan on replacing the wheel bearing on the same trailing arm while it's off, already did the other one.

My car has 67k miles.

Tein H Techs, Konis, Cusco sway, AVO adjustible end links

Original bushings up front.

It's a big job, no doubt about it.

Only other bushings you may want to look at would be the lateral link bushings, specifically the lower rear link that adjusts toe. The eccentric bolt typical freezes and the alignment shop ruins the bushing trying to adjust toe. Honestly, I would purchase a new OEM lower rear lateral link assembly with the bushings pressed in already. Bolts should all come out with the exception of the toe adjustment one mentioned above. You may have to cut it out. You can look at the whiteline rear lateral link kit, but it's overkill if you are just DD the car.

As for a press, I dremeled my old ones out carefully and the whiteline ones press in easily by hand.

They will work fine, but also cost an extra $250 for parts over the stock components. I have the kit on my 07 LGT and it adds a lot of complexity and cost when it's not needed for a DD.

OP - Whats your long term plan for the car?

Thanks for the replies.

I am done with mods. I am in a happy place (Stage 2) and only plan on replacing parts as need arises. It serves daily duties with some spirited backroads now and then. And right now it mostly just sits waiting for snow since I have another vehicle I've been driving to and from work.

I have always intended to keep the car beyond the original motor/turbo, so I want to use the best parts I can while making my life easiest and not compromising the ride quality.

I really have no desire to set it up with race components etc.

Archived