LegacyGT.com

Another exploded idler pulley

So in my ventures with my newly acquired 2005 Legacy GT...another mess unfolds.

Yesterday I started car , pulled up on ramps to change oil.

Popped hood. Idler pulley in shreds, a/c belt lodged behind crank pulley..timing cover badly gashed.

So I have removed crank pulley, in process of removing timing cover, so I can clean all the fragments of rubber out.

I noticed crank pulley is 2piece and I saw where they will fail.

My plan is to order a solid crank pulley, and bypass the idler pulley with the stretch belt, it seems that's been a successful plan for others.

Are the timing belt covers the same on this engine as any other Subarus?

I'm trying to find one because I don't trust the large rips in this one.

Also, any recommendations on what crank pulley to go with?

Any advice appreciated. I've already put an axle/wheel bearing/rebuilt the brake caliper, it solved my shakes, then this happened...I am very lucky I caught it when I did.

I've tried to find the part #'s for timing belt cover, the center one is destroyed. If anyone can point me towards that part number I would be very grateful.

I had this happen last summer. luckily my ac belt got destroyed before the idler was damaged however I did still need to buy a new timing belt cover. I've got the part number sitting in my room for it and can look at it when I am done with classes for the day. When you do switch them out be sure to pull the rubber seal off your old cover to put onto your new cover.

As far as pulley goes I've the grimmspeed pulley on my car.

Edit: Timing Belt cover part number 13570AA044 Found here.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

2 piece pulleys are known to fail with age and with the car being almost 10 years old is expected. I have the perrin crank pulley and have had no issues. If your car is a manual I have heard of issues running a light weight crank pulley and light weight flywheel at the same time but my car is a 5EAT so I cannot way in on that issue.

I had this happen last summer. luckily my ac belt got destroyed before the idler was damaged however I did still need to buy a new timing belt cover. I've got the part number sitting in my room for it and can look at it when I am done with classes for the day. When you do switch them out be sure to pull the rubber seal off your old cover to put onto your new cover.

As far as pulley goes I've the grimmspeed pulley on my car.

Edit: Timing Belt cover part number 13570AA044 Found here.

I also went with the Grimmspeed unit, although it was proactively and nothing had failed. Like all their other products it's very high quality and the install was easy. Very happy and good piece of mind.

Guys,

Thanks for the quick replies, I'm trying to get this all back together asap because I have DR appointments soon, and no other transportation.

Car is an automatic, so I shouldn't have flywheel issues.

I'm thinking about going with the kartboy crank pulley simply because the price is cheaper, but if there are any deals I don't know about I'm open to any of them that are solid.

Am I correct that the power steering alternator belt is a Gates #K050344 ?

Also, is the Gates K040317SF the correct stretch belt to eliminate the idler pulley?

And the tensioner tool is part # 91031? Do I definitely need that tool?

No way in heck do I want to have that idler pulley in the system, and the rubber seal on my crank pulley has damage from the belt that came apart and got lodged.

I'll post some pictures later today, maybe I'll help someone fix theirs before they get the same issue I had.

If anyone has a reason for me not to order the kartboy pulley please let me know.

Also if anyone has suggestions on a vendor that would have all this in stock that I could support I'd be glad to give them a try.

I will order parts tonight after I make sure I don't need anything else behind the cover....wish me luck.

I love you guys thanks so much for the help.

Archived