LegacyGT.com

Cracked Windshield

NewSubieOwner

A crack mysteriously appeared in the windshield of my wife's 2015 Legacy with less than 1000 miles on the car. I had washed the car and did not recall seeing a crack or any flaws after I dried it with a chamois. I then moved the car about 50 feet to its normal spot in the driveway (out of the shade) and then went around the car to dry off any missed water spots. I was then astonished to see this 6 in long crack in the lower right corner of the windshield. There was no evidence of any impact.

Took it to the dealer and the service manager took some photos, sent it to corp., and he got authorization to replace under warranty. Freaky

• 1 month later...
When I saw your message, it seemed that I had almost written the same words. Exactly the same thing happened on my Legacy 2015 Eyesight Windshield. Though my insurance has zero deductible on the glass coverage, but I would prefer to take it to the dealer to get the replacement by Subaru. It seems that some windshields have stress related issues that Subaru should investigate. I would try the dealer and let you guys know any update, btw, the crack has started to increase from 6 inches to 10 inches, no chip, no rock hit and I am not driving the car till the dealer looks at it.

• 5 weeks later...
Exact words that I would've used. Mine is a 2015 Subaru Legacy with Eyesight. Just today I discovered a large crack starting at the base of the windshield and extending towards the top. I will make an attempt at the local dealer to see if they will cover this under warranty. There must be a design flaw, else so many windshields cannot crack. There was no stone that hit the windshield.

This is what I did. I called my insurance and asked for the windshield replacement, they scheduled a date pending the windshield delivery to the repair(Safelite) company. Meantime, I contacted the Subaru headquarters in Cherry Hill, NJ and explained to them the whole situation. They opened up a case number for me. I took that and called the dealership near my place and they asked me to come in for inspection. With the case number from the HQ, the service manager agreed that it was stress crack, he tried hard to find a stone hit or something. They opened up a work order and placed the order for the parts and said that Subaru will cover it under "Good Will". Then I canceled my appointment with the insurance company since I wanted this to be fixed as per the Subaru standards. I think they know that there is some issue, at least with Legacy, I have seen at least 2 more on the road with the exact same location and same kind of crack. Now it is replaced and going fine, don't know if the problem was with the windshield or the installation that caused the whole issue. I think is should be reported on the NHTSA site so that it Subaru registers this complaint and investigates into it.

FWIW, I have learned to have my buddies body shop replace windshields, they use a person who will not damage the paint around the edge of the window. Damaged paint means rust later on.

Check the paint when you get the car back. May be insp the paint before and after the dealer replaces...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, I have learned to have my buddies body shop replace windshields, they use a person who will not damage the paint around the edge of the window. Damaged paint means rust later on.

Check the paint when you get the car back. May be insp the paint before and after the dealer replaces...

You are correct, working for dealers the past 5 years it is very important to find out if they have a glass technician or sublet their glass repairs. photo your cars pillar and roof line!! and chip or overage of sealant can be issues later.

Stay on top of your service writer and service manager when you start your claims at the dealer.

I've owned my 2015 Legacy for 13 weeks and have experienced 2 windshield cracks requiring replacement. I live in a metro area and haven’t taken the vehicle off road or on non-paved streets. First crack 5 weeks after purchase and second today, 2 weeks after initial repair (week 13 of ownership). It's hard to believe this is not a design flaw. My BMW 328i had 3 chips in 3 yrs of ownership and none led to catastrophic cracking like the legacy has done twice in 13 weeks.

I love the design, roominess, and amenities, but I'm becoming a dissatisfied customer.

Archived