LegacyGT.com

Throttle body plate and replacment / TPS

The TB plate on the 2.2 replacement on my 1997 Outback seems a bit wobbly. I want to replace it with a known good one off the extra 95 legacy automatic 2.2.

Here is the problem. I have been told in the past about TB plate adjustments and was told that in no uncertain terms, the TB plate is adjusted in the factory. Ok I'll go with that but the problem is the TB plate on the 95 Legacy has a different adjustment than the 2.2 replacement in the 97 outback. I used a feeler gauge to measure the TB plate gap on each car. Which one is correct? Who knows and in the known world there is no known gap available.

What should I do? Either there a TB plate adjustment, a manual analog adjustment that allows it to be placed on any engine or it is adjusted for each vehicle.

I need to then place the TPS on and adjust it to the correct voltage. Which wires (the colors) do I back probe to get the correct voltage.

Any ideas?

So what are you worried about/what problem does this hope to solve? Throttle plate/body only needs replacement if its letting the engine idle too high or is binding. The system adjusts itself not like a carb... Get torque for smartphone and an elm327 scan tool and you can pull up tps voltage without probing wires. I'm not sure otherwise... I'm assuming its a varible resistor and you just need to find the zero point, but the scan tool will read negative throttle position if you go too far.

It is sticking. I figured that because it is wiggling on the shaft, it sticks a bit.

I have a scantool that can read the TPS% and I do set it at zero. I've never been sure if that was the best way or is doing the back-probe-voltage the best way.

I just looked and saw that the elm327 scan tool is a really, really affordable price. Does it work well for you?

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aelm327%20scan%20tool

So what are you worried about/what problem does this hope to solve? Throttle plate/body only needs replacement if its letting the engine idle too high or is binding. The system adjusts itself not like a carb... Get torque for smartphone and an elm327 scan tool and you can pull up tps voltage without probing wires. I'm not sure otherwise... I'm assuming its a varible resistor and you just need to find the zero point, but the scan tool will read negative throttle position if you go too far.

Works great, the torque app is very cool it has data logging, gauges for setting up diagnostic dashboards ie maf versus tps etc. GPS logging and has tons of features you can geek out on.

Because of where the Subaru obd2 port I suggest the lowest profile one you can find so you can leave it in and not bop it with your knee. They also tend to burn up from time to time so buy several of them, They make great gifts and I've sold them for $20 when reading codes for people in the parts store parking lot.

The maf signal at idle is going to adjust the IAC valve to correct idle speed I believe. If the 1997 is sticking how do you know wear hasn't effected adjustment?

If it fits it ships IMO.

Pushing gas pedal -- I could feel a slight sticking at the start of pushing the pedal. Then I started looking into the sticky feeling, led me to feel that the TB plate felt wobbly.

Works great, the torque app is very cool it has data logging, gauges for setting up diagnostic dashboards ie maf versus tps etc. GPS logging and has tons of features you can geek out on.

Because of where the Subaru obd2 port I suggest the lowest profile one you can find so you can leave it in and not bop it with your knee. They also tend to burn up from time to time so buy several of them, They make great gifts and I've sold them for $20 when reading codes for people in the parts store parking lot.

The maf signal at idle is going to adjust the IAC valve to correct idle speed I believe. If the 1997 is sticking how do you know wear hasn't effected adjustment?

If it fits it ships IMO.

Archived