LegacyGT.com

Need help buying a car long distance

Dill-Ag13

Eh, who knows how long it's been run with that non-stock intake (looks like an SPT intake?) I wouldn't get your heart set on it.

Meanwhile, SBT lives somewhere in SC -- Maybe he can go take a look at it for you.

Have you tried the regional forums?

I would maybe check the car forum and then promptly check the owners statistics to see what threads they started and mods they performed and maintenance they did or didn't do...

Seriously I would get a forum member to check it out if possible and throw them a nice tip. That is about the amount of info you will get from a ppi and be much cheaper. In the end noone can tell you definitively how long the car will last or what kind of life it had without knowing the full history which would hinge on the honesty of the previous owner. Having a PPI will get you lots of pics and a typical rundown of any issues or mechanical items that any forum member could also get you with a dslr and an hour or so. Fwiw I had one done on a car I ended up not buying and dont feel as though it was a great value pretty much confirmed what was already easily seen on the dealers site. Ended up buying a local trade with less mileage for the same price.

Thanks for the help guys. Currently trawling the for sale board for Spec.Bs. My heart is pretty set on one.

I actually found the previous owner of the above on facebook (based on a google search of the VIN) but he hasn't got back to me.

My budget is pretty tight, $15k.

Well, with the help of a member from the forums, find a spec b either running in good condition, or if you're up for the task, buy one with a blown motor and rebuild it. There is always that. But eve then, a spec b legacy isn't the easiest car to find. For 15 grand, you could get one, but it'll probably have some mileage on it

Finding a good shop from an area you have no idea about is a big hang up though especially if said area is not really a big market for subarus. Trying to coordinate things over the phone is very challenging especially when you have to take the word of someone you have never met.

Archived