LegacyGT.com

Axel/Cv Boot Replacement

Noitced one of my cv boots is torn. looking to replace it but im curious if there is a better set of Cv boots/Axels then the stock ones? if so any idea where to get um? i went to my local parts store and they just have oem ones for $125-$40 for the core

At $125 I'm assuming they're "OEM equivalent" and not actually OEM, correct?

Most people will tell you to rebuild your own as Subaru OEM is preferable to the rest. I found the idea of rebuilding it wasn't an option for me (I needed to do the whole project within a couple of hours and didn't have any room for hiccups or errors).

The 2nd best option (according to these here great forums) is a re-manufactured Subaru axle. From my readings, A1 Cardone is one of the preferred re-manufacturer and is the company that remakes the axles for Subaru.

Autozone sells a Duralast Brand Remanufactured axle that is re-manufactured by A1 Cardone using a Subaru OEM core. The part number is 7336 for front ($69.99 with $37 core), 11671 for MT rear ($104.99 with $15 core), and 10683 for AT rear ($95.99 with $25 core). Those parts have an alternate part number of 60-7355, 60-7375 and 60-7372 which match with the A1 Cardone part numbers.

I think the consensus is to stay away from most new axles.

Since it's your passenger side inner CV boot that's torn, I would buy an OEM boot and replace it. You'll also need the o ring gasket that the CV shaft plugs into in the transmission. (I'm blanking on the name)

I don't trust reman axles, they do tend to fail more frequently, and even if they come with a warranty, you're still doing the job twice when they go.

It's up to you, I just rebuilt mine, it's good experience, and generally cheaper.

You're thinking of the half shaft oil seal. If you are careful you can remove/re-install without damaging it, but having them on hand is a good idea. Left and right are different PNs, so make sure you have the right ones.

I replaced my passenger side axle with an A1 Cardone two years ago. No problems with it so far, but I needed a quick plug-and-play option so the full assembly was the way to go for me.

My driver's side has been seeping out the clamp for a while now. I plan to overhaul the OEM axle on that side with a new boot, clamp, and grease once the weather warms up.

They arnt from the subaru dealer for 125, its from pepboys. however the dealer does sell a OEM reman for $210. ive thought about just replacing the boot but i dont know how to go about that. also i was told by other to just buy a new one instead of dealing with the hassle of fixing the boot. yea it is on the inner side closest to my transmission. im thinking i may have torn it when i was replacing my clutch.

At $125 I'm assuming they're "OEM equivalent" and not actually OEM, correct?

Most people will tell you to rebuild your own as Subaru OEM is preferable to the rest. I found the idea of rebuilding it wasn't an option for me (I needed to do the whole project within a couple of hours and didn't have any room for hiccups or errors).

The 2nd best option (according to these here great forums) is a re-manufactured Subaru axle. From my readings, A1 Cardone is one of the preferred re-manufacturer and is the company that remakes the axles for Subaru.

Autozone sells a Duralast Brand Remanufactured axle that is re-manufactured by A1 Cardone using a Subaru OEM core. The part number is 7336 for front ($69.99 with $37 core), 11671 for MT rear ($104.99 with $15 core), and 10683 for AT rear ($95.99 with $25 core). Those parts have an alternate part number of 60-7355, 60-7375 and 60-7372 which match with the A1 Cardone part numbers.

I think the consensus is to stay away from most new axles.

how much did u pay for the axel from A1 Cardone?

You're thinking of the half shaft oil seal. If you are careful you can remove/re-install without damaging it, but having them on hand is a good idea. Left and right are different PNs, so make sure you have the right ones.

I replaced my passenger side axle with an A1 Cardone two years ago. No problems with it so far, but I needed a quick plug-and-play option so the full assembly was the way to go for me.

My driver's side has been seeping out the clamp for a while now. I plan to overhaul the OEM axle on that side with a new boot, clamp, and grease once the weather warms up.

how hard was the rebuild? cause i was thinking of doing it just dont know what the process entails. did it take along time to rebuild? im looking to try to get this all done in a few hours

Since it's your passenger side inner CV boot that's torn, I would buy an OEM boot and replace it. You'll also need the o ring gasket that the CV shaft plugs into in the transmission. (I'm blanking on the name)

I don't trust reman axles, they do tend to fail more frequently, and even if they come with a warranty, you're still doing the job twice when they go.

It's up to you, I just rebuilt mine, it's good experience, and generally cheaper.

They arnt from the subaru dealer for 125, its from pepboys. however the dealer does sell a OEM reman for $210. ive thought about just replacing the boot but i dont know how to go about that. also i was told by other to just buy a new one instead of dealing with the hassle of fixing the boot. yea it is on the inner side closest to my transmission. im thinking i may have torn it when i was replacing my clutch.

Ok, I just looked up the Pepboys part online. I'm assuming you meant this one: http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/662976/01669/parts/drivetrain_cv_axles_transmission/cv_axles_joints_boots_components

If so, that's the same A1-Cardone that Autozone sells. Just $2 more so no biggie if PepBoys is convenient for you. The OEM Reman that the dealer sells is most likely remanufactured by A1-Cardone as well (manufactured by A1 Cardone for Subaru). I'd say go for it.

probably gonna go through pepboys since it is more convenient for me. gonna do both sides also since i figured if one went out the other should be close to going also. ill let you know how it all plays out

Ok, I just looked up the Pepboys part online. I'm assuming you meant this one: http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/662976/01669/parts/drivetrain_cv_axles_transmission/cv_axles_joints_boots_components

If so, that's the same A1-Cardone that Autozone sells. Just $2 more so no biggie if PepBoys is convenient for you. The OEM Reman that the dealer sells is most likely remanufactured by A1-Cardone as well (manufactured by A1 Cardone for Subaru). I'd say go for it.

i thought about ordering offline cause i know i can find it cheaper but i cant really wait for the shipping since she is my Daily

I was going to reboot mine, but I ended up getting a Surtrack complete axle (not reman) for $50 from rock auto. Well be installing in the next week.

just adding my input here. I believe the passenger inner cv boot fails at an accelerated rate compared to the rest because it is exposed to the heat of the downpipe. I replaced my passenger cv axle last year with a cardone reman from napa and it has been fine. The car is at 120k now and none of the other boots have failed. Also i did not need the halfshaft oil seal but i did buy one to play it safe in case i accidentally damaged it during removal.

Thanks for the input. Everytime ive called for that seal they tell me the system doesnt show one. So im hoping i dont break it upod removal of the axel. When i did my clutch we removed it fine with out breaking it. Lets hope we can do it again haha.

just adding my input here. I believe the passenger inner cv boot fails at an accelerated rate compared to the rest because it is exposed to the heat of the downpipe. I replaced my passenger cv axle last year with a cardone reman from napa and it has been fine. The car is at 120k now and none of the other boots have failed. Also i did not need the halfshaft oil seal but i did buy one to play it safe in case i accidentally damaged it during removal.

stay sideways my friends

Everytime ive called for that seal they tell me the system doesnt show one.

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct seal but I believe when I got it I had the parts guy print out a diagram so i could show him where it was. so its most likely correct. but its part number 806735300, OILSEAL-35X50X9

Thank you for the part number. Ill have him look it up if not then ill have him print out something i can show him

I'm not 100% sure this is the correct seal but I believe when I got it I had the parts guy print out a diagram so i could show him where it was. so its most likely correct. but its part number 806735300, OILSEAL-35X50X9

stay sideways my friends

Archived