LegacyGT.com

Rattle Noise @ 2000 rpm

jmaghirang7

Hey Everyone,

First time post so please be kind...

I recently noticed a rattle noise coming from the front of my car. I have posted a link to youtube for a video of the sound.

Please see the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjIW...ature=youtu.be

The noise only occurs at 2000 RPMs and when I am in gear. As soon as I accel/decel or shift into neutral, the noise will stop. In the video, I was in 1st gear until the very end where I shift into neutral.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's just me, but that video doesn't seem to work?..

So your saying clutch in, holding revs at 2000rpm?

At that low rpm it's very likely there is just a heat shield or something loose/ touching something making that noise. I had a similar issue but it was from the rear, and that was the heat shield above the mufflers touching where it shouldn't, slight tweak and it was gone for good.

Give the turbo heat shield a good tap to see if it's loose at all.

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

Ok ignore my first suggestion. Very different sound to what I was imagining in my head.

Does it do it in 4th and 5th? And does it do it with the clutch in when at those revs whilst stationary?

2000 Legacy B4 RSK - SOLD

2006 Legacy BP5 GT Spec B wagon - Garage Thread

2011 VW T5 van 2.0L of turbo diesel awesomeness

I am not sure about 4th or 5th...to be fair I am rarely hovering at 2000 RPM in either of those gears.

Once I have pressed the clutch pedal, the sound will go away. In playing with it more, the noise seems to happen when there is little to no back pressure on the engine - like if you are decelerating slowly or maintaining the RPM by fluttering the gas pedal lightly.

When I am in neutral and stationary and rev to 2000 RPM, the sound does not occur.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI

Found out the sound was due to metal shavings in the oil from the disintegration of the main bearing...should've known the sonofabitch that had the car before me decided to go FastandFurious with it.

$7000 fix...fml

This is the transmission sub-forum, so was the issue the main shaft bearings in the trans? Or engine? $7k sounds like engine rebuild money, so hopefully the shop isn't quoting you $7k for a new/rebuilt trans (or to rebuild your current one).

The problem ended up being in the engine, not the transmission.

I originally submitted my post in here because I thought the problem might be in the transmission. The only way I could get the sound to work was in gear at 2000 rpm.

Unfortunately the problem is beyond the transmission. Good looking out though thanks!

Sounds like you in for a new short block.

Read my click here link and read MrTris threads about rebuilding and what parts to get.

Read the sticky at the tops of the forums.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived