LegacyGT.com

Shift shock timing reduction?

fishbone

I've got a quick log snippet but am at work and can't post it. I think after many years of trying to hunt down this issue, today I've got a clear picture.

The question is whether or not this sounds like "true" knock that can be potentially destructive, or finnicky behavior.

This is a stage 2 automatic. Scenario is this.

3rd gear at a moderate pace, torque converter is locked up (this is important since it eliminates hydraulic play), anywhere between 3-4K rpms or so, if I stay in gear and let off the gas and the car does a good bit of engine braking, right as I let off the gas the AP will throw up a good bit of feedback knock correction, in the vicinity of -6 to -8, sometimes -10. It starts decaying right away, but if I get back on the throttle before it goes down to 0, it will stop decaying, and hold at whatever value it was when I got back in the throttle.

This happens in cold temperature only. During the summer, I can never get knock, no matter what I do. If I keep doing this kind of stuff, eventually what the car does is drop IAM somewhere to .875 and may stay there for a long time. I've "inadvertedly" done this once and actually managed to get IAM down to zero. Even in cold temperature, the car does not knock if I run through the gears, nor if I do a 3rd gear pull. But as soon as I am in manual mode and am playing around, getting in and off the throttle, it'll go apeshit.

I've had this issue for more than 6 years across many, many tuning revisions.

The kicker is, this current tune is for 91 octane gas and have since moved to Texas which has 93 everywhere. I see the exact same behavior all over again, exact same knock corrections.

Any thoughts? Input?

The tune is a custom tune based on Cobb Stage 2 OTS 91. Got it nailed down for all the other seasons except winter.

This is just further evidence that, since the engine has refused to grenade in all these years, I truly am the owner of the unicorn Legacy.

Does this spike in FBKC correspond to boost error? There is code to pull timing via FBKC in response to overboost.. preemptive knock control. A log would help a great deal.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Does this spike in FBKC correspond to boost error? There is code to pull timing via KBKC in response to overboost.. preemptive knock control. A log would help a great deal.

I was under the impression that the preemptive FBKC was introduced on the 07+ models.

I'm not sure which year in the Legacy model.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Thank you gentlemen, I haven't had a chance to pull the logs off the AP but will try to do so soon. Just got tied up in other stuff.

I didn't know about FBKC in regards to overboost. Not sure if my logs will have boost error logged and I doubt this to be the issue because the timing pulled happens at part throttle, so not under full load/boost. Here's the other annoying part about this. It seems to go away once the engine is really warmed up. For example, the first part of my drive home I would get consistent -4 degrees FBKC pulled sometimes as soon as I would touch the throttle at 40mph. Then as I almost got home, it wouldn't do it anymore. Flooring it in 3rd gear at 2K rpms to redline, no knock whatsoever. I'll see about those logs.

I really want to say this could be induced by the stiff trans mount I have possibly transferring noise to the engine. It's an automatic. The mount is stiff as hell when it's cold outside, but it softens up once the transmission fluid warms up.

-4* is a lot. Check for rattling stuff. Do you have any FLKC racking up?

For what it's worth, I've had a shift knock problem (manual trans. though) for years on my setup.

Never managed to resolve it but it hasn't blown up my motor yet.

I sort of left the tune alone but have recently felt like revisiting the issue. I will post here if I find anything that works for me.

While it may not be terribly useful (maybe even a different collection of problems entirely), here's a link to my past thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/shift-knocki-195070.html

-4* is a lot. Check for rattling stuff. Do you have any FLKC racking up?

Unfortunately I have an APV2 so I can only see one parameter at a time. Thus far I've opted to watch FBKC but I'll switch and look at how FLKC is doing. This morning I chose to watch knock sum instead and I did not see anything incrementing wildly other than the usual stuff. What I mean by usual stuff is knock sum increments during shifting. I can sit at a red light and drop it in and out of D and watch it increment.

If you think -4 is a lot, what about -8 and -10 and advance multiplier modified dropped all the way to 0.

Archived