LegacyGT.com

Just wanted to drop by and give my opinion of the new Outback

First off I only had it for a day so keep that in mind. 2K15 Outback with 3.6 and E5AT

1. it literally drives like a normal car despite being a crossover. Does not feel top heavy at all. It rides very well but road noise over hard bumps is still pretty intrusive. Other than that, it was extremely quiet.

2. The H6 is very quiet and feels pretty strong but the sheer heft of the Outback seems hold it back somewhat. absolutely NO vibration from that motor at all and it has a very nice subtle growl when you ask it to work. I can't imagine how lethargic the H4 would be

3. The view from the driver's position is OUTSTANDING forward, great to the sides and above average out the back.

4. Since I live in the city and that is where I did all of my driving for the day, I averaged 22.6MPG... that's about 3MPG better than what my 03 legacy gets in the SAME driving conditions

5. build quality seems to be there, no obvious flaws I that I could see

6. Subaru has finally made a huge step in the right direction with ergonomics. I could reach everything easily except for the P brake seat heaters and x mode buttons. They were too close to the arm rest for my liking. I think that the P brake should be up to the drivers side of the gear shift and that the seat warmers should be on each side on the bottom left and right side selector and the X mode should be above the shifter like it is on the Forrester..

Now that I have driven a new outback I am tossed between this and a Legacy as to what I am going to buy next. Since my 03 legacy only has 76K on it, it will most likely be a few years before I buy another car

• 1 year later...

We now have over 5000 miles on the 2016 Outback 3.6R with eyesight. Picked it up Dec 12th 2015.

Last week we got back from the first long road trip. Well a 4+ hours drive to Philly from home. The eyesight made the drive such a pleasure.

The Nav system had to be rebooted twice, but we have a Tom Tom so that worked well until we could find a place to stop and shut the car off, in traffic just after the GW bridge in NYC stopping in traffic was not had thing to find.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good for you. Be sure and let us know how you enjoy it.

I spun the tires last night on the 3.6 pulling out from the stop sign because I wanted to beat traffic that was coming up the hill. Wasn't a lot of tire spin but it seemed to be pretty easy. I wonder how good the stock tires really are ? I'm not thinking they are very sticky. In the my wagon I have to try a little harder to get the tires to spin at that same stop sign.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So far my experiences are (Euro Base model here):

• The lane keeping support is annoying, but can be survived. One of those nanny annoyances.
  • The Start/Stop system that turns off the engine whenever you make a short stop is even more annoying and I'll need to figure out how to make a permanent bypass on it. Should be somewhere.
  • Still on my first tank of gas so I don't want to push it yet, better to allow it to have a nice break-in period.
  • Only once so far that they Eyesight has flunked - thought that a road sign in a sharp curve was a car. But no harm done, just a "beep". Otherwise it's great.
  • The ACC is good - except in rotaries (and we have a lot of them here) where it has a tendency to lose the car it trails.
  • The back seats now have different handle for tilting them and for folding them so you don't need to re-adjust them every time you unfold them.
  • Steering wheel covers top area of instruments when I sit comfortable. But I suffer from a long back and short legs so it may be that I'm malformed compared to the standard human that's used to define the driving position.
  • The ceiling height is great.
  • Glove compartment is smaller than for previous version, now it's barely room for anything at all there. If I put the manual there it's almost half-full.
  • LED headlights are great.
  • The start button is requiring some re-learning, but isn't too bad.
  • I found that it's easier to forget to lock the car now. But I'll adapt to that in time.
  • DAB radio is new on this model, but there are few DAB radio channels and they mostly suck.
  • This version seems to use the same brake pads for park brake and rear brake, and I think that the previous had drum brakes for park brake and disc for the normal brakes. (but I'm not sure)
  • The trip computer is now in the IC instead, which is a lot better than the one in the center below the windscreen in the previous generation.
  • I have tried the X-Mode, but only in simple conditions. Need more testing, but so far it seems good.
  • Hill-holder is pretty redundant on a car with automatic gearbox. And the original mechanical Hill-holder was in my opinion better.
  • So far the fuel consumption with nice driving has been 31mpg.

453747.png

I don't believe we have that stop start option here in the US.

I can see where ACC could have a hear time in a rotary. I don't think they intended it to be used for that type driving.

Ditto on the glove box. Will a pair of gloves even fit in there ? ;)

I do like the fact the NAV directions will display in front of me in the IC

I enjoy the start button, I hate trying to stab the key into a slot you can't see. Haven't tried X-mode, I guess that's just for off road and deep snow type stuff.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived