LegacyGT.com

CB radio install?

ahyeuh

Ham radio operator here for 29 years so familiar with mobile two-way installation. If this is a regular CB radio, it needs about 3Amps when transmitting, and a lot less when receiving or idle. The cigarette lighter socket should be good for about 15A so my suggestion is to put a lighter plug on the CB and do it this way. Note that this is a switched outlet so the CB will turn off when you turn off the car. Pros and cons to this of course.

I find the bigger challenge is where to position the radio. If this is a temporary installation, you can mount the CB to a wooden cutting board and loop the passenger seat belt through the hole in it. Often you can position the radio/board on the floor in the passenger footwell and still get at it fine.

For the antenna, you can use a magnetic mount and fish the cable through the least-used door.

I'd like some feedback here as well. I have a 2015. I have a Uniden 980 SSB I took out of the car I replaced with my Legacy, and I have a Uniden Pro 520 XL installed in my weekend car.

EDIT. Seen your post after my post came up.

That's my issue no idea where to put it.

Yes, finding a place is a challenge. With remote-head radios its a lot easier, but most every CB, especially good ones with SSB, are larger than a DIN radio. :( You can generally mount them sideways on the centre console (passenger side) and leave enough room to open glove box and not be too annoying to front seat passengers. If you are good at bending metal, you can fabricate a mount that will bolt to the seat bolts of the passenger seat and hold the radio in the best position.

I used a wire tap to add an entire auxiliary fuse panel for adding gauges, etc. Only downside would be that it requires Key ON for the addition power needs to come on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4800893&postcount=12

There's pros and cons to all of these methods but I've used them all and they worked satisfactorily. If you can wire directly to the battery with 12AWG or bigger wire, that's the best. But like I said, the CB is only drawing about 3A so its not as critical as a high-power amateur transceiver (about 16A) or auxiliary stereo power amplifier (20-50A). You can get cheater fuse plugs to tap into that allow the use of the same fuse. Simply choose a circuit and go with it. Power seats are often a good choice as they are high current and see hardly any use.

Many CBers run external power amplifiers (50W-250W) which draw much more current. For these, attachment directly to the vehicle battery is a necessity.

How you hook it up is completely based on what you need it for. Some people use a toggle switch (other than the radio's on/off) so that they can kill power easily. I personally use mine when the car's off, so I wired it to the battery directly with both negative and positive wires fused.

As for mounting spots, I found out that a Uniden Pro520xl fits perfectly in the second DIN space under my stereo. I took a dremel to the cubby piece that was in there and didn't have to use any mounting hardware; it's just pressure fit into place. Makes it easy to remove when I'm messing with dash pieces. If you were savvy enough, you could make a mounting bracket and a simple faceplate out of abs plastic. This is all assuming that you have a single din radio and the '01 had space for a double din...

If you go that route, get an external speaker. Just a heads up.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived