LegacyGT.com

Alignment Question

ilya124

Recently installed coilovers on 05 legacy gt. Lowered 1.7" in the front and around 1.5/1.6" in the back. Wanted to go do an alignment but somebody recommended rear camber bushings. I was wondering if anybody had issues with rear camber after lowering and if they are necessary? Shop I called also said they do not recommend them, so a few mixed messages..

Depends on what your alignment currently is and if you are happy with it. If not, then you'll need rear camber adjustment. A lot of people want some additional camber in the rear, so a small drop should help out there if that's what you're shooting for.

You don't want or need much camber in the rear (it causes understeer). The main advantage of adjustable camber is that when you corner weight (which you would with coilovers, or you've wasted a major feature), you will probably have unequal camber on each side. The adjustability means you can make everything equal.

If you lowered your ride height you'll already have more negative camber than factory specs. Unless you're going after a specific setup for a specific purpose, the amount you have now is probably fine.

I would make sure you get at least as much negative camber up front as you have in the back though.

If you lowered your ride height you'll already have more negative camber than factory specs. Unless you're going after a specific setup for a specific purpose, the amount you have now is probably fine.

I would make sure you get at least as much negative camber up front as you have in the back though.

The adjustment allows you to add positive camber.

Yes, but only lowered 1.5" or so in the rear doesn't give you excessive negative rear camber, you'd still be under -1.5 degrees or so.

I suspect you won't even get -1.5, but that is way too much camber for the rear, unless you've played with the front (which otherwise, maxes at ~-1.5) and even if you have, -1.5 is way too much IMHO (And Westend Alignment's too)

Personally, I would corner balance, align, and see if you need rear end adjustment. If you do, then do it. If not, you saved some bucks.

Note that a corner balance is going to probably lead to some fairly serious rear drop compared to the front.

Darren from West End has me running a little over -1.5 in the rear, and the car does not understeer, and has no problem rotating, it really all depends on the needs of the particular setup.

Awhile back, on a much more sedated setup I ran -1.5 all around and it was very balanced, but it really depends on the tires, swaybars, and spring rates you're running.

Did you add a roll center kit in front?

-1.5 or higher will wear faster. I used to swap my tires (directional) left to right which remounting, however, it balanced the wear.

I found on the wagon -1.1 to -1.2 to be better. That was with -2.5 upfront. Depends on your driving style & tire width, too.

Archived