LegacyGT.com

Hot Oil Smell, No Leaks/Smoke

Here's the deal. I have been noticing a hot oil smell when I park my car after driving to and from work. Hot oil, not burning oil. More specifically it actually smells like hot gear oil. I have a leak in my radiator (Thank you Subaru for using the plastic, crimped on end tanks) but I'm keeping an eye on my coolant and it is not low at the moment. The smell is the same whether I've been driving hard or babying the car, as I've done both to rule out too much heat buildup in the turbo. The only thing I can think of is to check my tire pressure after work today and make sure one front tire isn't super low and causing excess differential heat. I doubt that's the case as it would have to be REALLY low to do that and I'm not feeling the car pull like it would if I had a front tire that soft. I have not been able to find a single visible oil leak and there is zero smoke coming from anywhere that might indicate burning oil. A little voice in the back of my head tells me I'm probably seconds away from some kind of catastrophic failure here, just hoping I'm wrong. Any ideas?

Have you replaced an axle ever?

My passenger side axle was replaced bc of a broken boot near the downpipe and a tiny bit of gear oil seeps from the trans at the axle seal. No smoke, but you can smell it when coming to a stop with the fan running.

That's worth a look, especially since it smells like hot gear oil. I just did the clutch with the TSK a couple months back, both boots on both front shafts were completely shot so I replaced them both as well. I'll jack the car up when I get home from work tonight and check the axle shaft seals coming out of the tranny and see if they're weeping at all. Thanks!

Archived