LegacyGT.com

Broken Door Handle

Here's the deal. The other day I pulled the handle on my 06 LGT and the door barely opened before I heard a snap/crack from the door. I shut the door and tried to open it and of course it does nothing. I can't seem to figure out how the handle works so I can't be sure if I broke the handle itself or just the cable or what. The handle functions normally except it doesn't open the door. Any ideas as to what could have happened in there? Just want some opinions before I rip the door apart to look when I can borrow a garage.

Really there's no at to know until you take the panel off and actually look. Its a pretty straight forward part you should be able to see a faulty part and if you can't then its internal... Still needing an actuator. (BTW the latch and actuator are the same piece)

How cold was it and did you hear a little bit of a rattle like something falling within the door right after the crack?

There's a little plastic lever/arm within the door handle assembly that is known to break/fail. See this thread. That could possibly be it (but again, you'd have to take off the door panel to find out).

If that's it then maybe you could try to repair with with some plastic epoxy.

Alternatively, if that part is broken, I think the part number you're looking for is 61021AG01XXX (HANDLE ASSEMBLY-FRONT DOOR OUTER LEFT --I'm assuming drivers side). The XXX are 3 letters that I believe (DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS!) may be color codes. Which means, it's possible that you can order them pre-painted (though you risk not having a perfect match).

I remember when I ordered my foglight bezels the last 3 letters corresponded to the paint color so I believe it's something similar here.

If that's the case, the part numbers are:

61021AG03ANN ; 61021AG01ABE; 61021AG01ABH; 61021AG01AFW; 61021AG01AGA; 61021AG01AHZ; 61021AG01ALT; 61021AG01ARO; 61021AG01ATE; 61021AG01AVW; 61021AG01AWH

You'll have to look into what they mean because I don't know all of them.

I do know that ARO = Garnet Red Pearl, AWH = Satin White Pearl, ABH = Regal Blue Pearl, ABE = Atlantic Blue Pearl, AVW = Obsidian Black Pearl

I don't know the rest.

My dealer (Pence Subaru) sells them for just under $30/piece (+ shipping) which would be a killer deal if they're actually pre-painted.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional. Do your own research before you buy parts. I could be 100% totally wrong and don't want to be liable if you order the wrong parts.

This is all helpful. I do know that my Subaru dealer says the handles only ship textured black for this generation unlike previous generations. That said, could it still be the actuator if the inside handle still works? The door still locks and unlocks remotely and with the key as usual. I only heard a snap when it happened but it was a noisy gas station and who knows what other sounds I couldn't hear.

If t works from inside thsts good. What could have happened is the breakaway tab on the rod for the outsidebroke. You can get that little tab from dealer.The rod goes up then over like a backwards seven and goes into a little hole on the inside of the outer door handle. There's alittle clip that swings doen and holds that bsr into that little hole. If that tab broke, the rod falls out, and you have your exact problem.

That sounds like a pretty simple fix if that's what I'm looking at. It was a very cold day, probably around 7 degrees still. Everything gets super brittle.

Opening the driver door from the passenger side is getting really old already

I also found this piece when I took my door panel off. So I'm currently at the dealer and they tell me that piece is riveted on to the handle from the factory and that if I buy a handle I can't just take that little assembly off without removing the rivet and somehow rigging it to my old handle. I ordered a new handle which comes unpainted of course and I guess if I can't take it apart I'll get it painted and put it on

Got the nice new OEM handle in from Subaru today and I have bad news. That little plastic piece rattling around is actually part of the handle itself. Fixing it requires replacement of the whole unit, which of course means I'm going to have to paint it now. :icon_cry:

image.thumb.jpg.dcec64fcafd76bfcbb713ad5ff6910de.jpg

• 6 months later...
I'm getting ready to do my driver door handle, was pretty easy to take apart, I ordered matching spray paint (37J Pearl white) with separate spray can of clear-coat from Amazon, both from same seller/kit . Total including my labor about $80, will be better than new soon. Should be good 'nuff paint job. Will clean and lube my window mechanism while I'm in there. :D

I know this is an older thread. But did you get it painted and installed? If so, how much was it to paint?

I did install it because I had to lend the car to my grandmother who surely wouldn't be reaching over the center console to open the door from the other side. Unfortunately I didn't get it painted before installing it so now i punch myself daily for the ugly black handle on my pretty silver GT. :mad:

If I were to get it painted, would the shop remove it to paint? I broke the clips off the old handle to remove it and I'm fairly certain that is the only way to get it out of the door, so I'd be afraid of that happening to this one. Anyone know? Was I dumb for purchasing an unpainted handle in the first place?

I did install it because I had to lend the car to my grandmother who surely wouldn't be reaching over the center console to open the door from the other side. Unfortunately I didn't get it painted before installing it so now i punch myself daily for the ugly black handle on my pretty silver GT. :mad:

If I were to get it painted, would the shop remove it to paint? I broke the clips off the old handle to remove it and I'm fairly certain that is the only way to get it out of the door, so I'd be afraid of that happening to this one. Anyone know? Was I dumb for purchasing an unpainted handle in the first place?

Most likely the handle broke. Your not the first one to have this happen. Any body shop can do the paint and install.

That's why I said that. Sometimes it's better to just pay the man.

My door handle matches perfectly. That's what I paid for.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 1 month later...

Archived