LegacyGT.com

5mt transmission swap questions

bqlegacygt

So I have a 93 jdm legacy turbo transmission with a rusted clutch and flywheel. I want to hopefully swap it into a 97 legacy gt.

First I want to know if the fact that it comes from a turbo car, will it affect it swapping it into a non turbo engine?

Second if I am going to need a new read diff?

I also don't know how much different the jdm transmission is but will that be harder to swap?

If it isn't worth doing please let me know. I would much rather wait until I could financially afford to swap an engine and transmission from an sti but I just would like to have my car stick shift.

If anyone can help me its greatly appreciated.

If it isn't worth doing please let me know. I would much rather wait until I could financially afford to swap an engine and transmission from an sti but I just would like to have my car stick shift.

If anyone can help me its greatly appreciated.

Why do the job twice? Do it right once and save money and frustration. Do you have all the parts for the swap? How about the gauge cluster? Is it easier to buy a 5MT car?

The rust is likely patina. The flywheel will rust a few days after you put it in the car anyway.

No my current transmission is okay. There's a jolt from first to second.

Yeah I would like to just swap it instead of doing a lot more. And I don't have all the parts. I'm still trying to get educated on everything so I don't mess anything up. And I since it is jdm transmission I feel like some of the parts would have to be different? Sorry for the late reply I've been busy all week. And thanks for the replies.

No my current transmission is okay. There's a jolt from first to second.

Yeah I would like to just swap it instead of doing a lot more. And I don't have all the parts. I'm still trying to get educated on everything so I don't mess anything up. And I since it is jdm transmission I feel like some of the parts would have to be different? Sorry for the late reply I've been busy all week. And thanks for the replies.

you are better off finding a used 05 LGT 5mt and rear end, and not mess with JDM parts.

Is the trans you have TY752VB2DA? There are lots of random parts you need.

rear end matching the final drive

driveshaft off of a manual legacy

manual starter

transmission mount and bracket

front axles off of manual legacy

clutch and brake assembly

master and slave with line

shifter assembly with bushings

clutch and flywheel off of a 05 or older turbo

trim piece for shifter with boot

The ECU has a pin that can be grounded to specify a manual

the neutral position switch, reverse switch, clutch switch and vss need to be connected

I kept the TCU in the car so the ABS and cruse still work

It is a straight forward swap but there are many little things to do.

Thanks max capacity. Well the reason I want to use this one is because my friend gave it to me off a front clip and I don't need to buy a whole transmission saving me some money.

So because it came off a front clip I think I have some of the parts that you mentioned ericm555. I would put a picture up but I still don't know how.

Archived