LegacyGT.com

2.5i vs GT Reliability

I am wondering how the GT stacks up against the 2.5i interms of reliability. My gt has been quite terrible. It's currently getting the heads redone after the timing belt skipped. This has me thinking, is a 2.5i going to be more reliable? Being that I am in college and low on money does it make sense for me to sell the gt and buy a lower mile 2.5i? I know I will miss the power of, but since my car is in the shop getting fixed constantly, I think I might prefer reliability over power, at least at this point...

My non-turbo 2009 has been very reliable. Outside of normal scheduled maintenance, my biggest repairs have been clutch replacements. With 163k on the clock, I've had to replace my clutch twice due to bad TOB's. The first time around, the TOB was absolutely bad. The second time around, I might have been able to wait longer, but I decided to play it safe after reading some of the horror stories on here.

My biggest worry buying a used 2.5i would be a head gasket issue. From what I've seen on here, it seems like HG's are less of a problem on 2009's, but maybe that's because they just don't have enough miles on them yet.

While the 2.5i does lack power, when paired with a manual transmission the car is actually a lot of fun to drive in my opinion.

*I just realized you have a 5eat GT, so you might not get a MT 2.5i. At least you wouldn't have to deal with the sky high clutch replacement costs if you went the AT route.

The 2.5i is a LOT more reliable than a GT. I really wouldn't recommend a GT to a college student. Definitely go with a 2.5i Legacy or Outback or Forester.

The biggest issue I see with the 2.5i is head gasket issues after 125k miles.

But if you already own a GT and it's in good shape, it must run just fine through the rest of your college years without issue. It's a gamble, though.

How reliable a car is depends solely on how well it was taken care of during its life. No different than a person. If you smoke and abuse your body, you die sooner more than likely. If you change the oil regularly and keep up on routine maintenance, then your car will possibly last longer. It all depends. Either way, you gotta pay to play!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

How reliable a car is depends solely on how well it was taken care of during its life. No different than a person. If you smoke and abuse your body, you die sooner more than likely. If you change the oil regularly and keep up on routine maintenance, then your car will possibly last longer. It all depends. Either way, you gotta pay to play!

What? A car's reliability does not depend solely on how well it was taken care of. Not even close. The complexity and build quality are huge factors, too.

The GT engine/drivetrain is a LOT more complex than the 2.5i. It has many more parts to break, more HP strained from the same motor displacement, and several common catastrophic engine failures including oil banjo filters that clog and disintegrating up-pipe catalytic converters that both lead to turbos grenading into the intake manifold.

Plenty of GT failures have happened on cars that were very well maintained. Changing the oil religiously isn't going to save you from an oil pick-up tube cracking, and often (surprisingly) didn't help people with clogged banjo filters. Not to mention all the driveability issues with the GT's OCVs that fail, and the seemingly miles of vacuum tubes that come loose and crack with age. The 2.5i has none of these issues.

Archived