LegacyGT.com

Issues With Early 3.0 H6 Engines?

Legacy25GTMN

I'm looking at a 2001 Outback 3.0 H6 LL Bean Edition as a possible replacement for my 1998 Outback. I'm not so familiar with the H6 engines and am wondering if anyone has any insight on them such as known mechanical issues, actual mpg versus four cylinder, etc. I know 2001 was the first year of this engine, which is what makes me slightly nervous. I also know that premium fuel is "recommended" and that the H6 was significantly updated in the 2005 and later model years. Any experiences positive or negative would be helpful.

Mine gets almost as good of mileage as a H4 but I also can't keep my foot out of it to get it.

I can average 17-19mpg around town in traffic and have seen 30mpg on the freeway.

The H6 is a great engine but they can leak oil. Valve covers, oil cooler o-ring, timing chain case are all areas where it likes to leak. They also can have head gasket issues but not as likely as its 2.5 counterpart but enough for it to be mentioned.

For 2001, the biggest issue is the transmission. Not quite as beefy as the 2002-early 2004 and they're a 2001 only transmission so swapping to the better one might not be an option.

I only run premium in mine and though it doesn't affect the drivability of it, I do see a decrease in gas mileage and power.

Thanks for the info. guys. Unfortunately, the car I was looking at sold before I could make a move on it, but maybe another one will come along. From what I'm reading, I think I'll be sticking with an EJ25 unless a spectacular car with an H6 comes along.

My Subaru master tech raves about the H6 3.0. They first made their appearance in the 2001 MY Outback platforms and are pretty bulletproof. The first iteration of the EZ30D H6es are overbuilt, IMO, with timing chains, coil on plug coilpacks, and variable intake geometry versus the timing belts and standard coil setups on the EJ variants of that vintage. They should be run on premium, though many trade-off the power and economy for the lower octane regular fuel; many without issue.

The 2004-2009 EZ30D (2nd iteration - and often incorrectly identified as EZ30R) , is where the real tech came to bear and is equally well-built. The 2008 Legacy 3.0R with the revised (2nd Gen) 5EAT, is a pretty sweet package.

Good luck and hope you find and capture one. They're pretty rare. OB models less so.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks for the info. guys. Unfortunately, the car I was looking at sold before I could make a move on it, but maybe another one will come along. From what I'm reading, I think I'll be sticking with an EJ25 unless a spectacular car with an H6 comes along.

The H6 is going to be more reliable than an EJ25, i think. Especially as you avoid the HG issues.

And, the H6 has less cylinder strain on it as well versus the EJ25s.

2000-2004 EZ30D (1st iteration) 212 HP/6 = 35.3 HP per cylinder

2005-2009 EZ30D (2nd iteration) 245 HP/6 = 40.8 HP per cylinder

2001-2004 EJ25NA 165 HP/4 = 41.25 HP per cylinder

2005-2009 EJ25NA 170 HP/4 = 42.5 HP per cylinder

2005-2006 EJ25T 250HP/4 = 62.5 HP per cylinder

2007-2009 EJ25T 243HP/4 = 60.75 per cylinder

Unfortunately, like I said the specific car I was looking at got sold, but if another one comes along I'm definitely going to look at even if it is an H6. From what I'm hearing the H6 seems to be hit or miss. They very well could be better than an EJ25 if you avoid the headgasket issues, but if you don't avoid it and have other issues they sound just as bad or worse. The reason why I was saying stick with an EJ25 is that I know what I'm getting in to. When I look at one for sale with 100K or more on the clock I just assume it needs headgaskets or will in the near future. That's more than likely the reason someone got rid of it. Besides the headgasket issue and having to service the timing belt, which are both one time repairs albeit expensive ones, the EJ25's seem to be pretty damn reliable and easy to work on. I guess it's pick your poison.

I'm keeping my EJ25T because it's only one of 61 made, but my next Subaru will be an H6 3.0 or 3.6. I don't think you can beat that motor. Buying it used with a sketch maintenance record, possibly, but otherwise, AEE, NAH6 > NAH4 IME.

Unfortunately, like I said the specific car I was looking at got sold, but if another one comes along I'm definitely going to look at even if it is an H6. From what I'm hearing the H6 seems to be hit or miss. They very well could be better than an EJ25 if you avoid the headgasket issues, but if you don't avoid it and have other issues they sound just as bad or worse. The reason why I was saying stick with an EJ25 is that I know what I'm getting in to. When I look at one for sale with 100K or more on the clock I just assume it needs headgaskets or will in the near future. That's more than likely the reason someone got rid of it. Besides the headgasket issue and having to service the timing belt, which are both one time repairs albeit expensive ones, the EJ25's seem to be pretty damn reliable and easy to work on. I guess it's pick your poison.

That's all fine and well if you can tolerate the lethargic performance of the 2.5i. The 3.0 H6 is a more enjoyable driving experience every day, but not everybody cares about that sort of thing.

From what I'm hearing the H6 seems to be hit or miss. They very well could be better than an EJ25 if you avoid the headgasket issues, but if you don't avoid it and have other issues they sound just as bad or worse.

You were misinformed. Ask any Subaru tech, and they will set you straight.

I've seen two second gen 3.0s with cracked heads. Not blown head gaskets but cracks in the heads inside the combustion chamber. One was a 2006 L.L. Bean its 107k miles with a single crack in the #3 combustion chamber (caused misfire and coolant loss). The second one was a 2006 TriBeCa with 150k miles and I found 5 cracks, 3 in one head and two in the other.

I'm thinking I'm liking my first gen 3.0 more and more. 143k miles currently but I plan to refresh it this summer.

Archived