LegacyGT.com

Another: Plug-n-Play AUX-In - 2005 6-CD Radio

mvigneau

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok...so I am not going to give away all the secrets as it took many months of investigative work and thousands of dollars of investments (extra radio, parts, boards, prototypes, prototypes, prototypes, etc...)

But basically, I found the pin that controls the audio output selection of the radio. It doesn't matter which input you are on...doesn't have to be FM, you could switch to the Aux-in while a CD is playing or even when AM is playing...pretty crazy and lucky to find it.

It was actually easier than I thought and am surprised that Subaru didn't include this as an option. Oh well, hopefully I can recoup my investment back...but I would need to sell at least 50 boards before my investment is back, but I initially did this for my own good and amazingly it has progressed into this!!

1. In AM mode and press the momentary button it switches to Aux-In. Press Momentary button again and it switches back to AM.

2. In CD mode and press the momentary button it switches to Aux-In. Press Momentary button again and it switches back to CD.

3. In FM mode and press the momentary button it switches to Aux-In. Press Momentary button again and it switches back to FM.

I have updated the price list again because I forgot about the discounted boards in quantities of 20.

Well done. That's an impressive feature.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Well done. That's an impressive feature.

Well unfortunately it does play over the FM but it doesn't mute it. So if you are playing the iPod in FM mode, then you will hear FM stations (I didn't have anything connected to the antenna when I tested).

So the way to really use it is by hooking up a CD.

So...the hookup is basically is the same as jazzymt. The only difference is that you need to hookup something to the red, yellow and green wires (12V, Switch, Ground).

The $500 option includes me installing it into your radio.

1) One of your photos shows some jumper wires soldered on the main board - we don't have to do that, right?

Those connections are for the SAT switch setting.

2) Did you solve the crosstalk/bleed-through issue that you encountered a while ago?

The crosstalk only occurs in FM mode, not CD mode.

3) Will you be able to post instructions and photos for the SAT switch modification?

I don't think I want to post instructions because you have to cut traces on the board and solder 30 guage wire to the switch.

4) I'm assuming your circuit resets after cycling the power. If I didn't like that behavior, could I attach a non-momentary switch to your switch input so that the aux input remains active whenever the switch is on, even when I turn the ignition off and back on? Or, does your circuit only activate when it sees a high-to-low (or vice-versa) transition?

Since the circuit uses a latch, that will not be possible and you will have to press the momentary button every time.

5) What are your mounting recommendations? Free floating? Mounting holes & standoffs? Double-sided sticky pads?

Free floating like JazzyMTs.

6) Will you be providing some kind of insulating sleeve (heat shrink, perhaps?) to prevent contact with casing and other components?

Yes, I will heatshrink all of the boards...

1.) laz

2.) noam

3.) diehardnicole

4.) rt78kp

5.) taddison

6.) 3tones

7.) Chappy

We will get a deposit after 20 signups similar to the group buy...then I can build them and work out the details.

Well unfortunately it does play over the FM but it doesn't mute it. So if you are playing the iPod in FM mode, then you will hear FM stations (I didn't have anything connected to the antenna when I tested).

It might be too late in the development cycle, but you could do an antenna cutoff like the FM modulators do. Being able to not play a CD is a big added feature.

So...the hookup is basically is the same as jazzymt. The only difference is that you need to hookup something to the red, yellow and green wires (12V, Switch, Ground).

Mike, thanks for clarifying that -- I was having a hard time understanding how you'd be able to selectively mute the other signals, since they all get mixed. As far as I knew, the only mute function is at the amp, which mutes everything.

thanks,

Craig

It might be too late in the development cycle, but you could do an antenna cutoff like the FM modulators do. Being able to not play a CD is a big added feature.

I don't know about this; you still get a fair amount of noise coming through a cut-out antenna, even if it's light static. At least that's how any FM mod I have tried works.

Craig

I have a question about the SAT switch. Are you talking about the bottum botton on the AM/FM/CD circle button? If so, on mine, the bottom button doesn't feel like there's a switch there. If I press that one, I just get resistance, unlike the other 3 locations....

I have a question about the SAT switch. Are you talking about the bottum botton on the AM/FM/CD circle button? If so, on mine, the bottom button doesn't feel like there's a switch there. If I press that one, I just get resistance, unlike the other 3 locations....

You have to modify the button -- clip or file some standoffs if I remember right. I believe the momentary switch is under there, it's just blocked off.

Craig

You have to modify the button -- clip or file some standoffs if I remember right. I believe the momentary switch is under there, it's just blocked off.

Craig

Correct...the button is there, you just have to remove the "block" so you can press it.

That is why those 4 jumper wires are in that picture.

Ok let me try to get this clear, does one need to use a blank CD with your setup as well? becaus eif I understand it correctly you only get the CD option when there is a CD in the radio, or does it work differently for your system. This will definitely break or make the deal.

X

---

Ok let me try to get this clear, does one need to use a blank CD with your setup as well? becaus eif I understand it correctly you only get the CD option when there is a CD in the radio, or does it work differently for your system. This will definitely break or make the deal.

X

A CD needs to be playing for both of the current solutions. jazzymt's needs a blank CD. mvigneau's can be any CD.

Craig

So...I am going to deploy the second test board into dv8ingvector's car for a week. After the week or so of testing, I will officially deploy it with the caveat's in the system and he can tell you how it works and all that...anyways.

I will order the boards when I get 20 people and then they take 4 days to make and send out to me...then I will start producing the boards. I need to make sure that the demand is high enough to pay for the board order. So that is why I need 20 people to signup...right now we only have like 6 people...so if you want one, signup.

I will also take pictures of the installation tomorrow so that people can see how it is done.

Basically follow Jazzymt's installation and I will add my extra steps needed (12V, Ground and Switch are the only differences.

I still don't understand the $500 option - will we need to take our radio out and send it to you? Or are you going to drive your ass all over the country and install these things in our radio no matter where we are?

My problem is that I'm technologically illiterate when it comes to messing with my car and esp. my radio. I want an aux-in solution - and would gladly pay someone $500 to do it - but don't know exactly how that would work. Esp. if it wouldn't void the warranty and no one would know.

Anyway - I'm also assuming this will work for other MP3 players other than iPods.

1.) laz

2.) noam

3.) diehardnicole

4.) rt78kp

5.) taddison

6.) 3tones

7.) Chappy

8.) mhamilton

I haven't worked out all of the things with the $500 option, but I have an extra radio. I was thinking that I would keep the extra radio setup with the installed board. Then people would send me their radios and I would send them the installed and tested radio. Of course, usual disclaimer applies and if you want the 4th position of your AM/FM/CD (aka SAT button) as your momentary button, the warranty would definitely be void because it involves cutting traces. I don't warranty any of the work that I do and there is no guarantee. The radio I would send would be in good working order because I would test it in my car before I send it out.

Hope this answers your question.

As long as the Candian's have the P-201UH or the MP3 version.

I was wondering if anybody was actually considering the $500 option? I didn't think anybody would seriously consider it, but if there is a demand for it, then I would no longer need 20 people to sign up.

So if orangerory or someone else wants this done, I will use that to order the 20 boards and then people can straggle in and buy one as usual.

Anyways...I guess some people aren't as excited as I am about this.

radio_model.JPG.98aba08270b4d32657b7ff1cea0799cb.JPG

Well I am definitely excited about it - what I'm worried about is taking out my own radio. You have no idea. I am very reluctant to mess with anything electronic in my car. If you are ever in the DC metro area (or anyone else on this board is who is comfortable with this is) and want to make some cash, then I would say I'm down for it (understanding that all disclaimers apply). If I have to take out my own radio, I would have to decline and wait for another solution.

Well I am definitely excited about it - what I'm worried about is taking out my own radio. You have no idea. I am very reluctant to mess with anything electronic in my car. If you are ever in the DC metro area (or anyone else on this board is who is comfortable with this is) and want to make some cash, then I would say I'm down for it (understanding that all disclaimers apply). If I have to take out my own radio, I would have to decline and wait for another solution.

Taking out the radio is easy, if you know which way to turn the screwdriver. All the connections unplug.

(Or any radio shop would do it)

1) REMOVE RADIO

- Pop up plastic plate with shift boot, unscrew shift knob, remove assembly.

- One screw holds each side silver trim piece in place, remove screw and snap parts off by pulling toward rear of car.

- Remove 6 or 8 screws attaching radio.

- Do not scratch radio on shift lever-- cover shifter with a couple socks.

- Pull radio toward you, reach behind it, and unplug the many connectors. The antenna is a small pigtail gray wire on the left side, its disconnect is about 6" from the radio.

(But remember, while your radio is gone, so is your AC, defroster and heat.)

Archived