LegacyGT.com

Morimoto retro fit into depo headlights?

There's no more saving my lenses on my headlights and have been really considering doing a retro fit with hid kit. Do you guys think the quality of the depos would be ok to bake and take on this task? I've searched and heard depos can haze over time but so does any other plastic style headlight. Thanks.

Well 145k miles of Texas heat and 5 restores later I've got some cracking coming up around the edges and the last restore i let our detail guys do it and got some deep scratches :/ finally started getting condensation in the passenger light

I have a Depo headlight and a depo fog light. I'm actually very satisfied (and somewhat impressed) with the quality of the product.

HOWEVER, I've heard some less-than-flattering things about Depo headlights that have been used for HID retrofits (or anything involving baking the headlights). I've heard of the lenses forming small hairline, spiderweb-like cracks. This is across different makes and models (Subaru, BMW, Toyota, etc).

I'm afraid to even try on my Depo lights. I'd try to find used OEM if I were going to do a retrofit.

I read about the baking issue but think the same happened to mine a little at 235 degrees. And i would totally trade that guy but one of mine has one broken tab and he stated no broken tabs :/ might just have to hold off till i can find someone selling some straight up...

I baked mine and some of my tabs melted because I turned the heat up a little much and left them in there for a little longer than needed(no brackets were included in the kit so retrofit had to wait). Once I got my brackets for the projectors I had to reopen them, though this time I used a heat gun and no problems came up other than some tabs not lining up correctly due to them melting in the oven the first time I bakes them. If you use a heat gun ($20-35 for a good/decent gun) you should be in the money and don't have to worry about melting/cracking/ breaking anything. As of right now the lights have held up perfectly fine for 6 months. Just make sure that you pick up some extra sealant, poor closer is whats most likely going to let in condensation. If you go through with the build. Some cheap $1 claps from home depot come really handy when sealing the headlights back up properly.

Archived