LegacyGT.com

Performance All Season Tires

LGT Chris

I was considering dropping the RE92s for a good set of all season tires. A local tire store in Boulder has a set of 17" Kumho ECSTA ASXs waiting for me, but before I commit I figured I should ask around. For $109/tire mounted and balanced, I figured it was a good compromise wrt cost. Tire Rack rates them very well in the ultra-performance all season category. The prices for higher rated tires go up steeply from there.

Anyone have any experiences with these tires? Thanks.

2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

Doing a quick search, it looks like PatagonianGT was riding around on these this past winter -- they seem like decent tires at a good price. Don't expect huge improvements in performance over stock though.

I've had decent experience with other kumho tires in the past. For the price i've always been satisfied.

Don't get the Kumho ASX, there are better tires.

The Pirelli PNero M+S or the Toyo Proxies 4 are a Ultra High Performance all season tires. The Kumho ASX has soft sidewalls, so turns will feel sloppier. Another choice if the Falken Ziex ZE-512....but is a "High" performance all season instead of a "ultra". But people seem to like them too....and they are cheap!

Do a search in the wheels/tires forum. There are a ton of threads on the above mentioned tires. Seems these two are the front runners for people that want a performance tire, but keep the all weather capability.

you can read reviews of all of these at http://www.1010tires.com (Tirerack only has the Pirelli)

Yeah, I guess I wasn't satisfied with what I found on my search.

I certainly want something better than stock as they are holding me back. I may bail on the ASXs and shell out a little more $$s for better rubber. My original thinking was going with a nice set of Blizzak's (way high $$s) on the stock rims for the winter and then get new wheels and summers for next year. I'm funny. I have no issue putting cash into engine performance, but I'm a cheap basterd when it comes to tires. I guess it has to do with them wearing out.

Ok, so I guess I should take some advice from the forums and state what I'm looking for instead of a general "tire recommendation" question.

I don't want to spend more than $200/tire (including mounting and balancing on my stock rims), and that's really a little higher than what I want to spent, but if they can last... I drive my car VERY hard in the mountains and I want/need performance much better than the stock RE92s. I've never broken the car loose, but it isn't uncommon for me to lose traction in tight corners. But I also want/need a balance because I do go skiing and need something that can at least get me through the snow and ice. I'm willing and capable of handling a little squirreliness in s-n-i for better dry and minimal wet conditions (don't get much rain around here). At least for this winter and winters to follow, I will be using my stock rims. Next summer I will probably upgrade to 18" wheels and summer rubber.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

CJ

if you can pin down whether or not you will upgrade to 18s and summer rubber next year, you at least will know whether it makes more sense to get true winter tires, or all-seasons. since you go skiing and are in CO, if I were you, I'd get dedicated high performance winter tires. You get a lot more bang for the buck that way. you will kick yourself for getting all-seasons and then getting summer tires next year.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

I have the 712 for the summer(lots of rain) 235/40 18 & the Mx for the winter (performance time) 225/40 18 There are a lot of better tires out there for alot more $$. But for less than 135 per tire these are very hard to beat:)
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

if you can pin down whether or not you will upgrade to 18s and summer rubber next year, you at least will know whether it makes more sense to get true winter tires, or all-seasons. since you go skiing and are in CO, if I were you, I'd get dedicated high performance winter tires. You get a lot more bang for the buck that way. you will kick yourself for getting all-seasons and then getting summer tires next year.

Yeah, that's what's also been rolling around in my head. I am 99% sure that I will go with some good summer tires and then should go with a high-performance winter tires dedicated just for winter. Time to start saving some $$s for next summer then! Thanks for the reality check!

Archived