LegacyGT.com

'09 Spec.B drivetrain/tranny grinding noise :(

tnichs13

Well, I may have bought myself a lemon. Bought this car from away and was stupid enough to trust the dealership in montreal. They got me.

Was immediately hearing a grinding noise from (what I thought) was the transmission, emptied the fluid to find it sparkling with little chunks of gear. Perfect. Luckily Subaru Canada decided to send me an entire new tranny despite the fact that it was out of warranty!!! Installed at the Subaru dealership, and what do you know, the grinding noise is still there.

Only after purchase did I find out that this is the SECOND tranny replacement that has been done on the car. One at 90k kms, the second now (120k kms).

I have a feeling that whatever this noise is, it's what has been eating tranny's, but the dealership, my local mechanic and i are all pretty perplexed as to what it could be.

Mainly low revs, accelerating, or letting off the gas.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Seems there all kinds of noises associated with the Subaru transmission.

A lot of folks calling it "normal" and "get used to it".

Take this link for what it's worth...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103494&page=17

Edit: The sound I'm getting is what the OP has going on in his vid, not the various sounds (and descriptions) in my link above^^.

• Moderators

Brand new transmission and same noise likely means that the issue is outside of the transmission itself--not that the car is "eating transmissions".

Does the car just have aftermarket bushings / engine mounts / pitch stop? All of those can contribute to noise that may sound like somethings wrong (grinding / rattling type noises). If you are not used to aftermarket bushings you may thing that something is wrong, when you are actually just hearing normal transmission noise that is now being transferred into the cabin instead of being isolated outside of the cabin by soft rubber bushings.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Just had my trans. and differential oil(s) changed out. There was but *just a bit* of shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

The sound remains, and I have resolved to live with it. Hopefully it's just "normal transmission noise", although I never heard it in my 05 LGT.

The "sound"----

FWIW, the sound comes on at accel. and decel. in 2nd gear, and ever so slightly in 4th.

Yes darn, can't hear much in the video. The guy does 2 takes in the vid, both of them shifting from 1st to 2nd.

The 2nd take can be heard a bit better, and it helps if you crank the volume way up, and hold your laptop next to your ear ;)

Ya sorry, the vids aren't optimal. It is definitely a strange noise, I've had some buddies who are familiar with the 6MT out for drives.

Latest update, throw-out bearing would appear to be shot (fantastic... we just had the tranny out).

Seems like there are multiple issues. Trying to figure out which are related and which may be causing others is not easy!

I tried slightly moving the shifter to the left or to the right, while in 2nd gear.

This did seem to remedy the sound a bit volume-wise. It' still there, but a bit quieter.

tnichs13, do you have a short throw shifter (as I do) ??

I wonder if it has something to do with this, the short throw shifter. Hmmmm...

Anyone, any thoughts?

I managed to track down the previous owner, and in his words...

"The shifter noise was less noticeable before I had the short throw shifter and polyurethane shifter bushings installed. However, it was there since the day I drove it off the lot. I actually went back to the dealership when I noticed the noise (which was only in 1st and 2nd). They assured me that it was normal on all 6 speed equipped cars due to the straight cuts gears in 1st and 2nd. The noise didn't seem to change at all during its life so I was never concerned. That being said, if you reinstall the rubber bushings it will reduce a lot of that noise."

So there I go....Drive on, now at 56 k mi.

Archived