LegacyGT.com

02 legacy engine noise help

Hello there, I recently bought an 02 legacy gt. The car is great, I've had to do a couple minor things to it but nothing to major. Since I've bought it however there has been a knock in the engine, I thought it was piston slap but after searching and researching I've changed my mind :/. It does it when idling, cold is loudest but then the noise changes. It seems to be coming from the center of the engine towards the rear. I've looked at engine noises and cannot seem to find a description to match the noise. It mainly does it when idling, while moving its only noticeable in from about 1500-2300 rpm. I know this has been asked a million times and I've read countless articles on it but I cannot seem to match it with a problem. Please help! I posted this on sli but apparently no one on there is active :/ and no one on nasioc.com answers me. I'm Almost starting to think it's not an internal engine noise just cause of the fact that it doesn't fit the descriptions of knocks or anything. Please help me! If it's piston slap, just tell me that and call me an idiot. I love my subaru and can deal with the noise, I just want to know if this is gonna be a motor swap fix or an easy weekend project.

Could be a failed rod bearing aka rod knock or a loose pulley. When you change the oil next time, look in the drain pan for metal flakes they will be the size of oatmeal flakes or slightly smaller and copper in color. If you find them or not and you rule out the easy to diagnose issues you may be in for a rebuild

Well I changed the oil a couple weeks ago, I didn't look for shavings at that time cause I was still convinced it was piston slap. I was kinda thinking rod knock but I just thought it was weird that it doesn't get louder with engine speed and only does it with acceleration and Idle, down shifting through the same rpm range doesn't seem to make the noise, and it's less noticeable with lighter throttle, or with heavier throttle. It kinda sounds like it's coming from where the engine and tranny meet almost. I'm assuming the metal shavings I would find would be ferrous? So I can magnet the bucket of oil and pull em out?

Edit: it also seems to only be noticeable in gears 1-3

I scraped the bottom of the pail of my used oil and searched in the pan I used, with both my hands and magnet, nothing stuck in the magnet, and other than some dirt, grime, and dust, I found nothing. No chunks, no slivers, and no flakes, to be honest I couldn't even find shavings, in terms of like tiny bits. I dono guys, is there any other options it could be? Or any other tests I can run to rule stuff out or narrow in on it?

Last time I watched it, it didn't wobble at all. I'll check again a little closer tonight. If it doesn't wobble is there any other way to check it? Also the sound seems like it's from where the engine meets the tranny. At idle anyway. Would the harmonic balancer be able to effect that?

Update, since today was a bit warmer after work, I turned the heat off and the radio off, and when going up the rpms in 3rd gear, the sound doesn't go away, but turns more into a whirr/grr vibration noise. It doesn't actually vibrate, just sounds like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived