LegacyGT.com

To repair or rebuild...

I have a 05 2.5i with bad head gaskets. No overheating or anything, they are just seeping oil at this time. I was originally planning on pulling the engine in the spring and doing a full rebuild (or a ej255/257 swap). However, it was just in the dealer for the brake line recall and they suggest just replacing the gaskets. From previous experience, rebuilding part of a high mileage engine is just asking for trouble. Seems every time I've done just heads, at some point in the relatively near future, I end up with lower end issues. Ranging from leaky gaskets to spun bearings. My car has 152k on it and outside of this current issue is in excellent condition. Naturally, I can do gaskets for considerably less than a full rebuild and would lay the car up for much less time but would hate to be tinkering with this motor again in a year. So, thoughts? Should I stay with my original plan of the rebuild or can I get away with just the gaskets? Thanks!

On a 2.5i motor, I would just replace the head gasket. If worried about the bottom end, do a compression test first to determine the health of your cylinders. It's not cheap to rebuild these motors.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Nope, head. the bottom of both heads are covered in oil. I originally thought valve covers and replaced them. At that time I cleaned up the oil as best I could. As the stain returned, it grew from the block-head mating surface. The valve cover seam is dry. Could be antifreeze but I'm really not losing coolant...esp at the same rate I am losing oil.

The cost of a rebuild was why I am also considering an engine swap. Even a JY motor will run 1500-2000. I'll be picking up a comp tester this week to check.

Nope, head. the bottom of both heads are covered in oil. I originally thought valve covers and replaced them. At that time I cleaned up the oil as best I could. As the stain returned, it grew from the block-head mating surface. The valve cover seam is dry. Could be antifreeze but I'm really not losing coolant...esp at the same rate I am losing oil.

The cost of a rebuild was why I am also considering an engine swap. Even a JY motor will run 1500-2000. I'll be picking up a comp tester this week to check.

A full rebuild or engine swap will run you at least $6,000. When I rebuilt my motor I was shooting for $4,000, but there are a lot of parts that are unforseen until you get out. Like I said, if you go this route plan for $6k.

Makes no sense. Maybe its a cam seal gasket, or front crankshaft gasket, or even a main rear seal. Head gaskets do not leak oil, only coolant. I say you get a better mechanic. Also how big is this leak? Puddles on the ground? If it is a minor leak I would just live with it.

---

^^Exactly. The oil lines are toward the outside of the block and the coolant lines run inner next to the cylinders. Usually the gasket will blow at the coolant lines causing hot exhaust to seep into the coolant, causing the motor to overheat.

There is actually an excellent chance I have blow by on the rings. I don't have smoke out the pipe, but wouldn't be my first oil burner that isn't at that stage yet. What I do know is that I go through 1 quart of oil every 750 miles or so and that the bottom of my motor is wet. The dealer simply confirmed my suspicions that the heads are leaking. I didn't think that i'd be looking at $6k for a rebuild, I was thinking more 3-4. Although in my mind is still more favorable to a jy one. With the amount of miles we log on our cars, I cannot see spending 2 on a jy to have it die or need work in 1-2 years. It just is not a risk I wish to take. That being said, at 6 grand, I am liable to run this one until it dies and junk it.

The 2.5i sohc engine can, and will, leak both oil and coolant from its head gaskets. I have one sitting in my driveway doing just that. It doesn't pressurize coolant, for whatever that is worth.

150k is a very common time for a head gasket to go on the SOHC engine. I'm not sure why anybody wouldn't just repair the head gasket. The SOHC motor generally has a lot of life beyond 150k so expecting a full rebuild at that point is unfair. These aren't DOHC turbo motors! Different head gaskets and level of wear.

• 2 weeks later...

The bottom end will be the least of your worries on a stock n/a motor. Just do the gaskets and timing set since you are in there. And you can call it good for another 100 miles when the tbelt needs to be done again.

I would get a good set of aftermarket gaskets like cometic. And change your coolant religiously afterward. This seems to be the leading opinion on the cause of Subie gasket leaks, coolant changes not being performed regularly.

Ok, thanks for all the responses. I am going to fix the hg's in the spring. I will check compression and as long as that is good, I will go with just the top end. I will say that a rebuild isn't as expensive (to me) as you guys make it out to be. I proceed the parts Adu around $800 plus machine shop time, which would be about a grand. 2k for a rebuild seems pretty normal to me....

• 2 weeks later...
If you pull the engine to do HGs, it isn't that big of a deal to then pull the pistons and re-ring them. The only extra tools you may need are a piston ring expander and PR compressor. If the piston skirts look badly scuffed, replace pistons too. This can be done without splitting the block or removing oil pan.

Archived