LegacyGT.com

Pressing out bad bearing and pressing in new?

Third bearing has gone bad in 2 years. Last time a machine shop charged me $50 to press out the old and press in the new. I had already bought the parts and did everything else, all I did was bring them the bearings and seals and my knuckle. The time before that I had Les Schwab do it for like 900 million dollars.

Let's say I buy a press, or know someone who has one I can use, is it difficult to press out the old and press in a new? How much pressure does it take, as in how big of a press? Use wood or something between the bearing and metal?...anyone ever done this before that can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

I have everything I need, I even bought a new hub.

If you have to pay that much, I would buy a complete spindle from salvage. Just making sure the ball joints and bearings are good. Around here it's $60 and soooo much time and work are saved.

O.

I disagree. Depending on the car, taking the knuckle out is the majority of the work. Then you replace with a new knuckle with an unknown bearing that can be already bad to start with.

I just pressed mine myself with a 5 ton press. It wasn't very easy, but not too hard. Other than having a press you need a bunch of scrap thick metal to support the knuckle and a bearing pressing kit from harbor freight (30 bucks).

I believe that if you are spending time and money on a job, you better do it right and only once. I saved money on advance half axles before just to have them clicking again in a few weeks. Now I have to redo the job and put decent axles there. At least they are warranted for life so I will get my money back.

Archived