LegacyGT.com

Burning rubber smell from drivers side engine bay area

Could use some help.

- Running 2008 subaru legacy 2.5i limited sohc -

I seem to always get weird problems, but I had a problem with the radiator fan recently and it was always on. As soon as I put my key to the on position (engine off) the main fan would kick on at high. I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor but the dealership was not close by and always closed when I had the time. Then one day it magically just stopped turning on and worked like it was supposed to (maybe there was a clog in the radiator and it got unclogged). Probably the next day I start smelling a burning rubber smell when idle with the heater on while I was driving. I assumed it was other cars next to me and it was just getting sucked in and blowing into my car (usually the case). Then it just kept happening every time I was stopped. Finally I decide to pop the hood and I definitely smell a distinct burning rubber smell coming from the drivers side of the engine bay. A lot of people said that the cv boots leak on the exhaust and it smells like burning rubber, but its also on the passenger side of the car (did check the cv boots still). I've done a basic visual inspection above and below the engine but can't find anything obvious. There's no smoking, so I can't see where the burning rubber smell is coming from. If anyone has a clue to what it is I'd appreciate it. I'm probably not looking carefully enough and if I'm pointed in the right direction I might be able to find it (not a plastic bag caught on the exhaust either). Appreciate the help!

the 2006 GT Turbo had that, It was oil leak from the valve cover. It took me months to find it, it was intermittent and the oil didn't drip straight down. That is an 8 beer job, requires magnets, pick tools, mirror, cleanliness, downpipe removal (passenger side). Only Subaru dealer will have the parts. If you go in, it is a great time to inspect the turbo wheel, sensors and for other leaks. take your time. If you have a way to pull the engine quickly, that would be better, then you could do both sides drop the pan, and inspect for metal shavings. Next time, I am going to pull the motor instead of crawling around.

Thanks, I'm assuming it's the same thing for me because it's intermittent for me as well and I know I have a bit of an oil leak. I seem not to get the burning oil smell when I'm on an incline i assume because the oil is traveling and dripping somewhere else than the exhaust pipe I think. Mine's N/A but the logic I believe still applies to my car too. I'm wondering if I always had it but just didn't notice the smell because I used Mobil full synthetic before, but tried out the Mobil high mileage full synthetic this oil change (maybe has rubber additives lol).

I had that recently (197k miles) turned out to be bad idler pully on AC compressor belt, hence the intermittant. Located right under AC.

Anyone know when the parts changed for that idler pulley? When I replaced my metal one years back, it was now composite. The parts guy said the all metal pulley had a higher fail rate.

Don't know, but I pulled an OE composite one off of my '05 and replaced it with a Gates metal one just a couple of months ago. The composite is what came on the car in '04 when I bought the car.

What a timely thread. I've got a leaky passenger side valve cover gasket as well :(

I know this because the cross member right under the uppipe is stained with oil. When it drips on the UP, I get a faint burning oil smell in the cabin. Twice now it was really intense, and now I've got residue on the dashboard around where the top vents are. No bueno.

Any DIY guides around for replacing the valve cover gasket? Is it a total pain in the ass? It looks like it, because it's cramped :(

LE: found it

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-cover-and-plug-tube-seal-guide-206386.html

• 3 months later...
False alarm. My smell was coming from my skidplate having been stuck and melted just a bit to my oil pan. I must have once parked over the curb and did not realize it. My Legacy keeps doing that. Smells and noises that seem like something expensive/time consuming to fix, only to turn out to be minor issues.

Found the burning rubber/oil smell. Turns out it was the Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage oil dripping from a bad Mobil 1 oil filter. I have the usual Subaru little oil leak, but not a big oil leak that is constantly leaking onto the exhaust making that smell. Must have been all the extra "additives" in the high mileage synthetic oil that made it smell more like rubber than oil. For everyone that has that smell on the drivers side, def check the oil filter. Switched over to Rotella oil and pure 1 filters, and much happier and cheaper!

Found the burning rubber/oil smell. Turns out it was the Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage oil dripping from a bad Mobil 1 oil filter. I have the usual Subaru little oil leak, but not a big oil leak that is constantly leaking onto the exhaust making that smell. Must have been all the extra "additives" in the high mileage synthetic oil that made it smell more like rubber than oil. For everyone that has that smell on the drivers side, def check the oil filter. Switched over to Rotella oil and pure 1 filters, and much happier and cheaper!

Yea not using Mobil 1 oil is the first thing you gotta learn with these cars. They just don't like it! Now that you have the right oil in there you have to keep an eye on it every gas fill up!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

I have the same burnt rubber smell on my 3.0R. Is this not exclusive to the Boxer4?

Looks like my passenger side CV boot is ripped. I'm not sure I can do this.. How much should it cost to replace the whole axle? Has anyone done this?

Yea not using Mobil 1 oil is the first thing you gotta learn with these cars. They just don't like it! Now that you have the right oil in there you have to keep an eye on it every gas fill up!

I concur. Based on oil analyses on M1, there are better alternatives especially when it comes to maintaining viscosity and protecting against fuel dillution.

Archived