LegacyGT.com

Noise after Depressing Clutch

need bb

Today was really cold and every time after shifting into a new gear and disengaging the clutch I would hear a metallic sound. The sound was triggered when I let up about 1/2 way on the clutch pedal after the clutch pedal was fully depressed. It seemed to be originating under the dash/foot well.

Any ideas?

The clutch shaft (term) goes through the firewall right above the accelerator pedal and frequently makes squeaking noises. There is also a clutch return spring right above clutch pedal that makes noises.

I shoved myself into the footwell and started pressing on the clutch to track down and stop the noises.

Mine was just a nuisance. But it took me a while to figure out when the squeak was coming from. I think I ended up greasing 3 areas (two in the cabin and one on the transmission) before the squeak stopped.

The Throw-out bearing can also make the noise that foreshadows clutch failure and was why I tried to track down the noise.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clutch-squeal-throw-out-bearingi-143812.html

How many miles on your current clutch? At 90k my clutch failed and the pedal ended up on the floor. If you are anywhere around that you might be due for a new one soon.

That spring behind the clutch petal needs lubing up every blue moon. Mine would creak and squeal a little, but after lubing it, it went away. Test it by having the motor turned off and pressing on the clutch pedal, you'll have a better understanding if it's coming from the pedal or bell housing.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived